In the spring of 2011, the Steinhardt Dean for Research and Doctoral Studies formed a planning group consisting of directors of the school’s research centers. The goal of this group is to provide a forum for center directors and Steinhardt leadership to discuss the specific needs of the school’s research community and to determine ways in which practices and policies in the centers could be aligned to meet those needs.
Over the years, the group’s work has evolved to include three core activities:
- Recommending policies and practices that enable the centers’ to provide financial, administrative, and conceptual support for the full range of Steinhardt’s research activities.
- Building channels for communication and coordination between Steinhardt’s research community and the School and University’s grants and contracts administration and management systems
- Cultivating opportunities for interdisciplinary research collaboration.
- Annual Center Benchmark Reports that summarize each Center’s productivity, impact, and financial status
- Policies for the return of 25 percent of indirect cost charges incurred by the Centers
- Blended administration of pre- and post-award of research grants and contracts
- Central data and document storage, retrieval and sharing
Centers represented in the Center Directors Working Group include:
- Center for the Promotion of Research Involving Innovative Statistical Methodology (PRIISM)
- Center for Research on Culture, Development, and Education (CRCDE)
- Consortium for Research and Evaluation of Advanced Technologies in Education (CREATE)
- The Center for Research on Higher Education Outcomes (CRHEO)
- Institute for Education and Social Policy (IESP)
- The Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity and the Transformation of Schools (METRO)
- Institute of Human Development and Social Change (IHDSC)
- The Research Alliance for New York City Schools (RANYCS)