Academic Standards

Academic Progress

Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the Steinhardt  School of Culture, Education, and Human Development  are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress according to the following academic standards unless otherwise stipulated by departmental/program standards.

Undergraduates: 2.0
Masters: 2.5
Certificate: 3.0
Doctoral: 3.0

  • Academic progress is reviewed only after an undergraduate student has enrolled in at least 12 units (cumulative -- not per term) and a graduate student has enrolled in at least 6 units.
  • Students with two or more IP, IF, and/or N grades during one semester will be considered as not making satisfactory progress. This is exclusive of courses in which incomplete grades are normally given, e.g. Dissertation Proposal Seminar.
  • Students who have two consecutive probationary terms or three non-consecutive probationary terms will be subject to dismissal.
  • Students whose matriculation has been terminated because of academic insufficiency may apply for re-admission after one year’s lapse of time.


  • The Steinhardt Faculty Committee on Student Progress (COSP) includes four faculty appointed by their departmental chairs, the Director/Assistant Director of Advisement/Registration Services and the Director of Counseling and Student Services. Students serve ex officio. The Associate Dean has oversight for Committee process and proceedings.
  • The COSP meets twice yearly at the end of the fall and spring semesters to review and take action on the academic records of both undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in NYU Steinhardt.
  • Students whose academic records are scheduled for review are notified by email, asked to forward to the Steinhardt Committee on Student Progress (COSP) any relevant information regarding their records and referred to their academic advisors for further discussion on their academic progress.
  • THE COSP invites academic advisors whose students are being reviewed to submit recommendations for action.
  • The COSP takes action on the total record of the student in accordance with policies approved by the faculty, information submitted by the student, and advisor recommendations. Actions taken include  no action, warning, probation, and dismissal.
  • Students are notified by email of the action taken by the Committee. This action is noted on the student transcript and a registration hold is placed on students who have been put on probation or dismissed.
  • When a student believes the action taken by the Committee on Student Progress has been arbitrary and unfair, he/she may appeal through the Faculty Sub-Committee on Student Appeals, c/o Office of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. That Committee is comprised of two faculty and the recommending faculty/advisor.  The Director of Registration Services and the Director of Counseling and Student Services serve ex officio.
  • Undergraduate students who wish to be considered for financial aid must be in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward degree completion. Satisfactory progress requries that students earn a passing grade in 76% of the courses in which they are enrolled each academic year (
  • Academic Department Committees on Student Progress: The Departments of Communicative Sciences and Disorders, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy have appointed student progress committees that regularly review and take action on the academic records of students whose grade point averages/academic progress have fallen below the academic standards set forth by their respective departments/programs.
  • Department Committees inform the student and the Steinahrdt Faculty Committee on Student Progress (COSP) of actions taken.
  • For appeals, the Department Review Committees include in their letter the internal appeals process. Levels for appeal include the department chair as the final department level, then the Associate Dean for Student Affairs, and finally, the Vice Dean for Academic Affairs.
  • In all instances, appeals are procedural and based on
    • Violation of department policy
    • Additional and relevant information not previously considered.
  • Departmental Committees provide the Office of Student Affairs with a list of students at risk at midterm and may recommend that a Dean's Hold on registration be placed to anticipate the next advisement/registration cycle.

Class Standing

A student’s class standing is determined by the cumulative number of credits they have earned:

Class Standing

Cumulative Credits Earned

FR = Freshman

0 – 31

SO = Sophomore

32 – 63

JR = Junior

64 – 95

SR = Senior

96 and above

Dean’s List and Grade Point Average (GPA)

The GPA determines the student’s academic standing within the school and whether or not the student is making academic progress. The GPA also determines, in part, eligibility for the Dean’s Honor List and Latin Honors. The GPA is based on a 4-point scale as follows:

  • A: 4.0
  • A-: 3.7
  • B+: 3.3
  • B: 3.0
  • B-: 2.7
  • C+: 2.3
  • C: 2.0
  • C-: 1.7
  • D+: 1.3
  • D: 1.0
  • F: 0.0
  • There are no A+, D-, or F+ grades.
  • F grades may not be changed unless the original grade resulted from a clerical error.

Computing the Grade Point Average:

Add the total number of credits completed for each grade. Multiply each of these totals by the appropriate point value (quality points) of the grade. Divide the total number of point value (quality points) by the total number of credits.




Quality Points

Total Quality Points













Divide the total quality points by the number of credits: 40.0 by 12 = 3.3 = GPA

Grading Policies

The standard grade symbols and their values are as follows:

A – D: Passing Grades

These letter grades are the standard passing grades for NYU Steinhardt; departments may adjust, with proper notification to students, if passing grades are different.

  • A: Excellent
  • A-: Excellent
  • B+: Good
  • B: Good
  • B-: Good
  • C+: Satisfactory
  • C: Satisfactory
  • C-: Satisfactory
  • D+
  • D: Minimum Passing Grade

F: Failure

Counted in the grade-point average and noted on the student’s transcript. If a student repeats a course in which he or she had received a failing grade, only the higher letter grade is calculated in the grade-point average. The "F" will continue, however, to appear on the transcript with a notation "Repeated Course". An "F" cannot be changed.

P: Pass

Not counted in the grade-point average. Your department may designate certain courses as Pass/Fail only and other courses that you may choose to take as Pass/Fail. Courses designated as Pass/Fail cannot be taken for letter grades. Instructors record the earned grade without regard or knowledge of those students who have elected the Pass/Fail option. In these cases, the Registrar’s Office will then enter Pass or Fail as appropriate.

IP: Incomplete Pass

Under exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the course instructor, an Incomplete Pass (IP)  may be granted based on the student’s performance throughout the course of the semester. The length of the contract period is fixed by the instructor, but will be no longer than six months after the close of the semester. If outstanding work has not been completed, an "IP" becomes an "N" (No Credit).

IF: Incomplete Fail

Under exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the course instructor,an Incomplete Fail (IF) may be granted, based on the student’s performance throughout the course of the semester. The length of the contract period is fixed by the instructor, but will be no longer than six months after the close of the semester. If outstanding work has not been completed, an "IF" becomes an "F". The "F" will be figured in the GPA. An "F" cannot be changed. Student may repeat the course and the higher grade will be computed in the GPA. The "F" will, however, remain on the transcript with the note "Repeated Course".

If the contract has been completed in a timely manner, it will be considered along with the remainder of the course performance to determine the student’s grade. No extensions will be granted beyond the end of the contract date indicated.

N: No Credit

NR: No grade reported.

It will appear on the transcript as "***"

W: Official Withdrawal

If withdrawal occurs after the midpoint of the term and the student is failing at that time, the grade will be reported as F.

R = Registered paid auditor, not graded.

Incomplete Grade Contract

You may request an Incomplete Pass (IP) or an Incomplete Fail (IF) grade based on your performance throughout the semester only:

  • under exceptional circumstances
  • at the discretion of the course instructor
  • after the ninth week of the semester
  • with 50% of the coursework complete

The amount of time you will have to complete the work will be determined by the instructor, but it cannot be longer than 6 months after the close of the semester. If you do not complete the outstanding work by the agreed date, an IP becomes an N, and an IF becomes a F. (F grades cannot be removed or changed.). If you complete the work within the time period, your instructor will consider it along with your other course performance to determine your grade. You will not receive an extension beyond the end of the contract date. For undergraduate students 3 incomplete grades -- or for graduate students 2 incomplete grades during a semester may result in academic action by the Committee of Student Progress and failure to meet academic progress by the Office of Financial Aid. Incomplete grades should not be used in lieu of an official leave of absence. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for incomplete grades

Deadline: Up to the final day of class.

Signatures: The course instructor and advisor, along with the chairperson of the department in which the course is offered.

Incomplete Grade forms are available at Registration Services, 82 Washington Square East, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, (212) 998-5055. Incomplete grade forms are maintained by the department in the student’s docket. You can view this form by clicking here.

Independent Study

Independent Study is offered only when a student’s degree requirements may not be met by a regularly scheduled class. Both undergraduate and graduate students are permitted to take from one to six credits of Independent Study outside their areas of specialization. Each Department/Program, however, determines the total number of credits of Independent Study that a student may take within the area of specialization. These credits may be taken either in the student’s area of specialization or as unrestricted electives.

Undergraduates may not use Independent Study for the sixty or more required credits (credits) in the liberal arts. Independent Study may not be used in the required professional education sequence in a teaching curriculum. Undergraduates may not enroll in graduate (level 2) Independent Study courses. Independent studies can be taken only within the school in which a student is matriculated. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for independent study.

It should be noted that independent study requires a minimum of 45 hours of work per credit.

This form also allows a student to title an independent study. These forms do not require School approval and may be submitted directly from the department to the University Registrar’s Office of Student Services, 25 W. 4th Street, 1st Floor. Independent Study Forms are available at Registration Services, 82 Washington Square East, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, (212) 998-5055

Deadlines: Pre-registered students should submit Independent Study forms during the first three weeks of the semester. Late registering students should attach an Independent Study Form to the Program Change Form at the time of registration.

Signatures: The advisor’s signature at all times, along with those of the sponsoring faculty member and the chairperson of the department in which the student is matriculated.

Pass/Fail Grading Option

This allows a student to opt out of a weighted grade for any course except those given by the Stern School, Graduate Division. The purpose of the pass/fail option is to encourage students to take courses outside their major without the concern of weighted grades. The pass/fail option must be chosen by the end of the fifth week of classes for Fall and Spring semesters and the fifth day for Summer semester classes. The maximum number of courses that can be taken as pass/fail may not exceed 25% of the student’s total program or 25% of the specialization (this does not include those courses in which pass/fail is the grading requirement). Once this option is selected, it cannot be changed nor will a letter grade be recorded. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for pass/fail.

Certain courses are offered departmentally on a pass/fail basis and are identified as such in NYU Steinhardt bulletin. These courses are not included in the 25% of the total program that the student may elect to take pass/fail.

Pass/Fail forms are available at Registration Services, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, 5055. Pass/Fail forms are submitted to Student Services, University Registrar, 25 W. 4th Street, 1st floor. You can view this form here.

Deadlines: End of the fifth week of the semester or end of the fifth day if a summer session.

Signatures: The advisor’s signature

Student Records

Every student has a permanent record which is filed in their department and includes the admissions application, course substitution forms, statement of transfer credit, check sheets, transcripts (high school and previous colleges), correspondence with the student, advisement records, program of study forms, evaluations, and any other official material related to the student. The permanent record is maintained by the department for purposes of program advisement. In compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA - PL 93-380), students wishing to see their permanent record must make an appointment with:

Assistant Chancellor
194 Mercer Street, Room 403F
New York, NY 10012
Phone: (212) 998-2310; Fax: (212) 995-4251

Permanent records are kept for seven years after the student has graduated or has last been in attendance.