Registration Policies


Arrears Policy

The University reserves the right to deny registration and withhold all information regarding the record of any student who is in arrears in the payment of tuition, fees, loans, or other charges (including housing, dining, library fines, and other activities or services) for as long as any arrears remain. Please visit the University Bursar website for all pertinent tuition and payment information.

Auditing Classes

A student may audit classes with the permission of the instructor and his/her advisor. Auditors follow regular registration procedures, including payment of tuition. Regulations governing the auditing of courses are

  • Only matriculated students may audit courses.
  • Audited courses do not count in determining a student’s maximum course load.
  • No more than two courses may be audited per term.
  • Audited courses do not count toward full-time status.
  • Full tuition and fees apply to audited courses.
  • Tuition remission may not be applied.
  • No units are earned nor are letter grades recorded.
  • No withdrawals or refunds are granted.

Audit Request forms are available and should be subitted to: Registration Services, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, 212-998-5055. Audit Request form can also be found here.

Deadlines: All auditing requests must be submitted within the first week of the term regardless of the start date of the course. There is no appeal for late submission.

Signatures: The advisor and instructor’s signatures are required at all times.

Call Number

The course call number is the five-digit number that appears in bold print before each section of a course in the Class Schedule. Call numbers are term -specific and are used only on Albert to register for courses.

Class Schedule

The University Registrar maintains a listing of all available classes for each term by school and program including course schedules and room assignments. The Class Schedule will be available approximately 1 month prior to the start of each Term’s registration.

Program Number Directory




IUCD-GE Inter-University Doctoral Consortium Student Affairs


Interdisciplinary Honors & Seminars
(New Student/Scholars/Deans Seminars)

Student Affairs


HEOP – Pre-College Program

Student Affairs


Interdepartmental Research Studies

Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities


English Education

Teaching & Learning


Mathematics Education

Teaching & Learning


Science Education

Teaching & Learning

Environmental Conservation Education Teaching & Learning


Research Methods in Teaching & Learning

Teaching & Learning


Educational Theatre

Music & Performing Arts Professions


Educational Communication & Technology

Administration, Leadership & Technology


Sociology of Education

Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities

Reading Recovery Teaching & Learning


Social Studies Education

Teaching & Learning


Early Childhood & Elementary Education

Teaching & Learning


Literacy Education

Teaching & Learning


Teaching & Learning

Teaching & Learning


Bilingual / Foreign Language Education / TESOL / Multilingual-Multicultural Studies

Teaching & Learning


Business Education

Administration, Leadership & Technology


Nutrition & Dietetics / Food Studies / Public Health

Nutrition, Food Studies & Public Health


Communicative Sciences and Disorders

Communicative Sciences and Disorders


Science & Mathematics Education

Teaching & Learning


Occupational Therapy

Occupational Therapy


Physical Therapy

Physical Therapy


Maintenance of Matriculation

Student Affairs


Philosophy of Education

Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities


Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities

Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities


International Education

Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities

Liberal Arts Core Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities


Education & Jewish Studies

Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities


History of Education

Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities


Media, Culture and Communication - Doctoral

Media, Culture & Communications


Media, Culture & Communication - Graduate

Media, Culture & Communications


Media, Culture & Communication - Undergraduate

Media, Culture & Communications


Applied Psychology

Applied Psychology


American Sign Language

Applied Psychology


Educational Leadership / Educational Administration

Administration, Leadership & Technology


Gender, Race & Social Justice

Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities


Performing Arts Administration

Music & Performing Arts Professions


Special Education

Teaching & Learning


Music & Performing Arts Professions

Music & Performing Arts Professions


Higher Education Opportunities Program

Student Affairs

Music Business Music & Performing Arts Professions


Music / Music Education / Music Technology / Music Therapy / Performance & Composition

Music & Performing Arts Professions


Drama Therapy

Music & Performing Arts Professions


Arts & Humanities Education

Applied Statistics, Social Science, & Humanities


Dance Education

Music & Performing Arts Professions



Art & Arts Professions

Visual Arts Administration Art & Arts Professions
Art Education Art & Arts Professions
Costume Studies

Art & Art Professions

Art Theory & Critical Studies Art & Arts Professions
Administration, Leadership & Technology

Administration, Leadership & Technology

Art Therapy Art & Arts Professions
Higher & Post-Secondary Education Administration, Leadership & Technology
Art & Arts Professions Art & Arts Professions

Course Permission Form

This form gives permission to register

  • For a program of more than 18 units (20 is the maximum number of units)
  • For an undergraduate student to take a graduate course in NYU Steinhardt
  • For any course after Albert closes for registration (beginning with the 3rd week of the term) and any course that has controlled enrollment (permission numbers) or restrictions
  • For any course closed at enrollment limit but not at room capacity

Course Permission forms are available from your advisor or at Registration Services, and all completed forms must be signed by Registration Services, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, 212-998-5055.

Deadlines: Students are allowed to add courses online through the second week of the term. After that time students wishing to add a course must have the instructor’s permission and advisor's permission.

Signatures: The advisors and Registration Services signature at all times. The signature of the instructor and departmental chairperson as required.

Cross-School Registration

  • You may take courses in other schools at NYU if you are a matriculated student and you meet the necessary prerequisites. Courses you take in the professional schools (Dentistry, Law, and Medicine) are generally not applicable towards your degree; however, exceptions may be made to this policy.
  • If you took courses in an associate degree program prior to matriculation in the School, they may apply if they meet the requirements of your baccalaureate degree.
  • If you are matriculated in a school that allows both undergraduate and graduate students to register in other schools within the University, you must be careful to select the appropriate course level to make certain that these courses count toward your degree.
  • You may not be matriculated simultaneously in more than one school at New York University.


The Bursar will automatically drop students who have not made appropriate tuition payment arrangements by the payment deadline.

  • Fall and Spring terms: de-enrollment applies only to undergraduate students
  • Summer terms: de-enrollment applies to both undergraduate and graduate students

Dropping or Adding Classes

After Albert closes for registration at the end of the 2nd week of the Fall and Spring terms, a drop/add form allows a student (with advisor approval) to drop, add, or swap courses. Students who are taking courses outside of their primary major department must also submit a Course Permission form signed by the instructor along with the drop/add form. Students matriculated in schools other than NYU Steinhardt only need to submit the Course Permission form.

Effective Fall 2015 students who drop courses after the end of the 2nd week of the term receive a W (withdrawal) grade on their transcript. The last day to drop a class is end of the 9th week of the term.

Full- or Half- Time Equivalency

The University defines full-time course work to be a minimum of 12 units each term. To qualify for full-time equivalency you are expected to spend no less than 40 hours per week on a combination of course work and/or appropriate activity required by your department. For half-time students, a minimum of 6 units or 20 hours per week is required. Equivalency may be granted only for the purposes of visas, student loans, student loan deferral, TAP and Veterans’ Benefits requirements.

You are not eligible for equivalency if you are not registered for any credit-bearing course work; therefore, students registered for a leave of absence, maintenance of matriculation or zero unit courses will not be considered for equivalency.

If you see an Enrollment Mismatch Hold in your Albert Student Center, please click here for instructions to correct the mismatch.

Financial aid is based on the actual number of units for which you are enrolled rather than equivalency status. Scholarship eligibility requires a minimum of 12 registered units. If you have any questions, please consult Financial Aid, NEW address 383 Lafayette Street (E 4th St) 212-998-4444, to determine your status.

International students are eligible for equivalency status to determine full-time study only from the categories listed on the reverse side of the form. International students who wish to pursue part-time study for any other reason must do so through the Office of Global Services NEW address 383 Lafayette Street (E 4th St) , 212-998-4720.

Signatures: The advisor’s signature is required at all times  Final approval by Steinhardt Advisement and  Registration Services is required.

You can download a Full- or Half-Time Equivalency form by clicking here.

Independent Study

An Independent Study is designed by the student and sponsoring faculty to investigate an area or field of specialization not normally offered in scheduled course offerings. It is an opportunity to work one-on-one with a faculty member to complete directed reading, a creative project and/or supervised research. Students must consult with their advisors before undertaking independent study.

  • Independent study eligibility: Matriculated juniors and seniors; matriculated graduate students
  • Independent study unit value: Independent study carries 1 to 6 units. The number of units will be determined by the work to be completed and should be comparable in rigor to that of a classroom course
  • Minimum hours required per unit: 45 hours of work per unit per term

  • Maximum units allowed:As part of specialization: as determined by each department /program
    • Total allowed
      • For undergraduate students, a maximum of 6 units over the course of the undergraduate career
      • For graduate students, the number of units will be specified by the department
    • Cannot be used to satisfy liberal arts requirements
    • Cannot be used to satisfy professional education courses in the teaching professions
    • Independent study taken in other divisions of the University and/or other universities will not count toward the student’s degree.

  • Registering for independent study: Students first meet with the academic advisors to determine if the student should undertake an independent study; they then meet with the sponsoring faculty to complete the NYUSteinhardt Independent Study form, obtaining the signatures of the sponsoring faculty member, the sponsoring faculty member’s department chair and the student’s advisor.

  • Independent study title and description: The title of an independent study will appear on the student transcript prefaced by the word “Independent Study”. The description of the Independent Study should include its theme which may be stated as a question or issue to be explored or creative technique to be examined; its type and scope, e.g. paper or special project.

  • Independent study sponsor eligibility: Only full-time faculty.

    Maintenance of Matriculation

    Undergraduate students must complete at least 3 units each year or pay a maintenance fee equal to the service fee for the first unit of tuition for the academic year. All course requirements must be completed within ten years from the date of matriculation. Continuous maintenance is required. Contact Undergraduate Advisement, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, 998-5053, for additional information.

    Masters degree, six year certificate or professional doctoral (DPS or DPT) candidates must complete at least 3 units each year or pay a maintenance fee equal to the service fee for the first unit of tuition for the academic year. All units must be completed within six years from the date of matriculation. Contact Advisement and Registration Services, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, 998-5055, for additional information.

    Doctoral candidates (other than DPS or DPT) must maintain continuous matriculation by registering for DCADV-GE 3400, Doctoral Advisement or their departmental equivalent (1 unit) during any term in which they are not registered for coursework (exclusive of summers). Doctoral students are required to complete the degree within 8 years of the date of matriculation. Information may also be obtained from Graduate Studies, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, 998-5044 for additional information.

    Registration procedures for maintenance of matriculation are the same as any unit-bearing course.

    Students must be cleared and approved for Maintenance of Matriculation by the advisor as follows:

    • MAINT-GE 4747 Masters, Sixth Year Certificate and Professional Doctoral Students (DPS or DPT)
    • MAINT-UE 4747 Undergraduate Students

    There is a maximum of 2 terms of maintenance of matriculation.

    Measles, Mumps, Rubella Vaccinations/ Meningitis Immunization

    New York State law requires all students born on or after January 1, 1957, and taking 6 or more units, to demonstrate immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella (German measles).

    Immunization status is checked as part of the registration process, and failure to submit proof of immunization to the Student Health Center will prohibit students from registering for classes. Students who have not been immunized will be held at 6 units or less and are not cleared for leave of absence until they have met the requirement.

    New York State law also requires colleges and universities to distribute information about Meningococcal disease and vaccination to all students registered for 6 or more units, whether they live on or off campus. All students registered for 6 or more units are required to decide whether or not to be immunized for Meningitis and to provide formal confirmation of their decision. Failure to submit formal confirmation to the Student Health Center will prohibit students from registering for classes.

    Call 212-443-1000, visit the Student Health Center (located at 726 Broadway).

    Permission Number

    Some courses require special permission from an instructor, program, or department before a student may register. These courses will include "Department Consent Required in the online course description.

    Students who want to take one of these courses should contact the department offering the course to request a permission number.

    Primary and Secondary Sections

    Some courses require enrollment in primary and secondary sections. Examples of primary sections are lectures, seminars, and studios; secondary sections are labs, recitations, clinicals, and fieldwork. Albert will not allow students to register in a secondary section prior to registering in a primary section. Primary and secondary sections are linked to disallow separate registrations. When withdrawing, the student must withdraw from the primary section prior to withdrawing from the secondary section.


    The schedule of tuition refunds is determined by the University for Fall, Spring, and Summer sessions. The date on which the refund application is filed, and not the last date of attendance in class, is considered the official date of the student’s withdrawal. Students who withdraw by Albert will automatically be refunded tuition according to the published refund schedule (see below). Any exceptions to the refund schedule can be considered only when student withdraws using the Program Change (Drop/Add) form with a supporting letter from the instructor/advisor. Please note that the Summer refund schedule is based on days rather than weeks. Refer to the Bursar website for complete information on the Summer refund schedule.

    WithdrawalTuition Refund

    Prior to and during the first week of classes


    During the second week of classes


    During the third week of classes


    During the fourth week of classes


    During the fifth week and after

    No Refund

    Registration and Services Fees are non-refundable.

    Please note: The above refund schedule does not apply to undergraduate students whose registration remains within the flat fee range (12-18 units). Students receiving financial aid who reduce their course load should consult the Office of Financial Aid, NEW address 383 Lafayette Street (E 4th St) t, as their aid may be affected.

    Graduate students will be charged for courses based on the refund schedule whether or not they have paid their tuition bills.

    Refund appeals must be in writing from the student to:

    Committee on Refunds
    Office of the Associate Dean for Student Affairs
    NYU Steinhardt
    New York University
    Joseph & Violet Pless Hall, 2nd Floor
    82 Washington Square East
    New York, New York 10003

    The Committee on Refunds will review:

    • Appeals for tuition only as registration and service fees are non-refundable
    • Appeals made in writing, including a rationale for an exception to University Policy

    Appeals are reviewed monthly, and notification of the results is in writing. The Committee does not meet in January, June, July, August or September. If approved, the processing of refunds takes approximately four to six weeks.


    Registration at New York University is automated through the online system named Albert which students can access through NYUHome. Prior to the registration period, students consult with their advisors for course planning, scheduling, and clearance.

    Registration appointments are assigned to undergraduate students. The assignment of your appointment date and time is based on the number of your earned units. Earned unitsdo not include your current units in progress.

    Your registration appointment is the earliest date and time in which you will be able to register for classes using Albert. The registration appointment is not your advisor appointment time; please set up an appointment to meet with your advisor prior to your registration appointment date.

    After successfully logging on to Albert via NYUHome, use the Registration Status feature of the Registration options to locate your registration appointment date and time.

    Registration is open for the upcoming terms as follows:

    • Fall: Approximately Third Week of April
    • Spring: Approximately Third Week of November
    • Summer 1: Approximately First Week of February
    • Summer 2: Approximately First Week of June

    *Students registering for summer during the first registration session (February – May) will be de-enrolled for non-payment in May no matter what the start date of the course.

    Students registering during the second registration session (June) will be able to register only for those courses which begin at the end of June or early July through August.

    Undergraduate students: 18 units per term. Students who register for six units of student teaching may not take more than a total of sixteen units. Students who register for less than six unitsof student teaching may register for up to eighteen units. By exception, 20 units may be permitted, if the program advisor and Department Chair give their written approval on the School’s Course permission form.

    Graduate Students: 18 units per term.

    Graduate Non-Matriculated or Special Students: 18 units per term. Non-matriculated students register after receiving approval from the Special Student advisor, may complete no more than 18 units (total) prior to establishing matriculation and will be required to take a minimum of 18 units after the official date of matriculation. Graduate special students may sign a waiver of units over 18 with the Special Student Advisor, 82 Washington Square East, Pless Hall, 2nd floor; these units will not count towards a future NYU degree,

    Undergraduate Visiting "Special" Students: 16 units per term for a maximum of 32 units total. After this maximum has been achieved, special students must become matriculated should they wish to continue courses.

    Summer Sessions

    Students may take 16 units during the twelve weeks of summer term but may not take more than 4 units during any three-week session.

    Deadlines: Undergraduate and graduate students initial registration for a fall and spring term may be processed up through the second week of the term online. Summer terms have alternating dates; please consult the NYU Class Schedule

    Late fees for Fall and Spring go into effect at the start of the second week of classes and apply only to initial registration. Late fees do not apply to courses added to an existing schedule

    Registration Holds

    You may not be able to register for the following reasons

    AM = Admissions: Student has not filed a complete admissions package. Contact Undergraduate Admissions, 665 Broadway, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10012-2339 (212) 998-4500 or Graduate Admissions, 82 Washington Square East, Pless Hall, 3rd Floor, New York, New York (212) 998-5030

    BT = Bursar: Tuition: Student in arrears or has payment issues. Contact the Bursar, NEW address 383 Lafayette Street (E 4th St), (212) 998-2806

    DA = Dean Academic: Student is on academic warning must contact your advisor.

    DH = Dean Student Affairs: Student is being held for an academic issue. Contact Registration Services for information, 82 Washington Square East, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, (212) 998-5055

    DM = Dean Miscellaneous: Student is being held for an academic issue other than progress or an administrative issue. Contact Registration Services for information, 82 Washington Square East, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, (212) 998-5055

    LI = Library: Student has overdue books or outstanding fines. Contact the Circulation Desk, Bobst Library, (212) 998-2530

    LS = Loan Service: Student has an issue with a past loan payment. Contact Financial Aid, NEW address 383 Lafayette Street (E 4th St) (212) 998-4444

    RA = Resident Athlete: Student is a University athlete whose academic status must be reviewed by the Department of Athletics. Contact the Department of Athletics 404 Lafayette Street (212) 998-2030

    RD = Registration Department: Student has been placed on hold due to Study Abroad issues in Steinahrdt's Academic Initiative/Global Programs. Contact Global Programs, 82 Washington Square East, 5th Floor, (212) 998-5091

    Z1 = Measles: Student has not complied with the New York State regulation of vaccinations for measles, mumps, and rubella. Contact the Student Health Center, 726 Broadway, 4th Floor, (212) 993-1000

    Z2 = Meningitis: Student has not submitted proof and/or waiver of vaccination. Contact the Student Health Center, 726 Broadway, 4th Floor, (212) 993-1000

    Z3 = Health History: Student has not filled out the mandatory health history form. Contact the Student Health Center, 726 Broadway, 4th Floor, (212) 993-1000 

    Restricted Courses

    These are courses in which a department wants to restrict registration to students within the

    • Major
    • Class (Freshman, Sophomore, etc.)
    • School

    Students who receive permission to register for a restricted course must have a Course Permission form signed by the instructor and NYU Steinhardt Registration Services.

    Special/Non-Matriculating Students

    Students who are admitted for study in a specific term and are not matriculated for a degree within any program, department, institute, or school at New York University.

    After an admissions application, transcripts and/or credentials have been filed with the admissions office, the student receives a clearance letter for registration. A clearance letter must be obtained at the start of each term for which the student wishes to register. The clearance letter must be presented to the "special" student advisor who will provide registration materials and general information, clear the student for registration and refer the student to the specific department for access code numbers or information about program requirements.

    Undergraduate and Masters students should contact the special student advisor located on the 2nd Floor, Pless Hall, 82 Washington Square East, 212-998-5053.

    Doctoral students should contact the special student advisor located on the 2nd Floor, Pless Hall, 82 Washington Square East, 212-998-5044.

    Tuition and Payment Information

    Please visit the NYU University Bursar website for all pertinent tuition and payment information:

    Withdrawing from a Course

    A student, who for any reason finds it impossible to complete a course for which he or she has registered, should consult his or her advisor and complete a Program Change form (Drop/Add form).

    An official withdrawal must be filed if a course has been canceled, and in this case the student is entitled to a full refund of tuition and fees.

    • Effective Fall 2015 courses dropped during the first two weeks will not appear on the transcript. Courses dropped from the beginning of the thrird week through the ninth week will receive a "W" grade. Students may not drop a course after the ninth week.
    • Merely ceasing to attend a class does not constitute official withdrawal nor does notifying the instructor. A stop-payment of a check presented for tuition does not constitute withdrawal, nor does it reduce the indebtedness to the University. The non-returnable registration and services fee and a penalty for a stopped payment will be charged in addition to any tuition not canceled.
    • The date on which the Drop/Add form  is filed, not the last date of attendance in class, is considered the official date of withdrawal. It is this date that serves as the basis for computing any refund granted the student.
    • The refund period is defined as the first four calendar weeks of the term for which application for withdrawal is filed. No application filed after the fourth week will be considered. The processing of refunds takes approximately 3-4 weeks.
    • Students who are taking a leave of absence or who are planning to exit the School are referred to the Office of Counseling and Student Services, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor, to complete a leave of absence or exit interview as part of the official procedure.

    Students should consult with the Office of Financial Aid immediately if they change the number of units for which they are registered. Any change in total course load may affect a student’s financial aid package.

    Time Conflicts

    Students are not permitted to register for courses that create time conflicts.