Please see the How to Apply for Admission section below for a complete description of the application procedure.
Prospective students are encouraged to attend an information session or watch the online information session video before they apply. Admission is for the Fall semester only.
Selection is the joint responsibility of NYU Steinhardt's Office of Graduate Admissions and the Department of Occupational Therapy.
Application Due Date
Fall enrollment decisions are made by late-March. An official decision letter is emailed by the NYU Steinhardt's Office of Graduate Admissions.
How to Apply for Admission
It is important to read the information below before you begin the application process.
- Online Application- All applications must be submitted online
- Application Fee
- Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose
- You should provide:
- A synthesis of how your work/volunteer/life experiences led to choose the profession of Occupational Therapy?
- Formatting requirements:
- Maximum of 3 pages
- Times New Roman (size: 12)
- 1-inch margins (on all sides)
- You should provide:
- Two letters of recommendation
- One letter must be from an OT supervisor at a volunteer site.
- Transcripts. The admissions office requires one official transcript from every postsecondary institution attended. See more information on submitting transcripts.
- Prerequisite Checklist. Carefully read the Prerequisite Course Requirements information sheet before completing the Prerequisite Checklist.
- TOEFL (for international students)
- Developmental Psychology (this course should cover the lefespan).
- Abnormal Psychology (this course should cover the lifespan).
- Behavioral Sciences (one additional social science course).
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II (with lab).
- Science prerequisites must have been completed within the previous ten years.
- Science prerequisites cannot be taken online. These courses must be taken in a classroom setting. Online and hybrid Anatomy and Physiology courses will not be accepted.
- Elementary Statistics
This combination of prerequisite courses is designed to offer applicants flexibility in acquiring the knowledge base necessary to succeed in our program and to reflect the diverse academic backgrounds of our prospective applicants.
Applications may be submitted prior to the completion of prerequisite courses. Prerequisite coursework must be completed by admitted students prior to beginning the fall semester. A minimum grade of B- is required for all prerequisites.
A bachelor's level undergraduate degree must be conferred before enrollment.
These two documents are available for download in PDF format. The PDF format can only be viewed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a free plug-in for your browser available for download. You can download the Acrobat Reader directly from Adobe by clicking here.
The application for graduate admission may be accessed by visiting: NYU Steinhardt's Office of Graduate Admissions.
The Graduate Admissions Office strongly recommends all parts of the application be uploaded and submitted online. However, if any materials have to be mailed, you need to include the document cover sheet and send to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Items received without a document cover sheet take longer to process and match to your application.
If you have any questions you can contact the Associate Director of Enrollment and Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage students with questions to attend or view our Information Session.