(Applications Due Monday, February 6th by 4pm)
Orientation Leaders are responsible for engaging and leading new students in their departments throughout the New Undergraduate Experience. This includes our on-going Online Orientation over the summer, Deans Welcome and departmental sessions during NYU Welcome Week, and throughout the Fall 2017 semester in New Student Seminar and weekly office hours. Orientation Leader training occurs on-campus during the Spring 2017 semester, and the position is remote throughout the summer until Welcome Week.
Orientation Leaders assist in creating a welcoming climate for both incoming transfer students and new first-year students by sharing their own experiences at NYU, helping to facilitate the virtual advising and registration process, and serving as mentors to new students as they transition into NYU. Orientation Leaders are responsible for co-facilitating a section of New Student Seminar. Candidates for this position must be able to communicate with departmental advisors as well as articulate ALBERT registration procedures to new students. Orientation Leaders assist with Fall recruitment events on scheduled weekends.
Successful Orientation Leaders:
- Understand our Online Orientation Portal/ALBERT and where to find information to refer students
- Facilitate engagement with new students through social media
- Answer questions related to student life on campus
- Share personal experiences related to NYU
- Provide 1:1 mentorship to new students in the Fall semester
- You MUST be available for all required dates and be able to work remotely a minimum of 10 hours per week between May 6th and August 26th.
- During the Fall semester you must be able to co-facilitate a section of New Student Seminar (class time discussed with department) and hold ~3 office hours per week. You will also represent your program at key Fall new student recruitment weekends (date TBA).
- You may be employed outside of this role as long as you can commit to the training and all required dates and times.
- You may register for summer classes as long as they do not conflict with required dates and times.
- You are not eligible to apply if you have a graduation date of May 2017 or September 2017.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key social network platforms (Facebook, Tumblr, Google Groups) is preferred.
Applying & Interviewing:
- New applicants are required to attend an information session. Dates are listed on the next page. If you are unable to attend an information session you must contact Justine Kelly-Fierro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online applications (http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/orientation/leaders) and supporting documents (unofficial transcript and resume) must be submitted by 4 pm on Monday, February 6th, 2017. No exceptions. Applicants must be NYU Steinhardt undergraduate students.
- One of your references MUST be your current academic advisor. You must contact them prior to providing their reference information.
- Interviews will be held Tues. February 21st-24 – Mon. February 27th . You will receive an e-mail regarding scheduling the week of February 13th.
- If you are late, need to cancel or reschedule your interview please call the office immediately. Missed interviews WILL NOT BE RESCHEDULED. You can reschedule IN ADVANCE by calling us at (212) 998-5065.
- Interviews will run for approximately 20 minutes each and will be conducted by two staff members.
- All students will be notified by email of the result of the interview process before Spring Break.
You must be available:
|Commitment||Date & Time|
|Thurs. January 26th, 12:30pm or 2pm – Pless 3
Mon. January 30th, 5pm – Pless 3
Wed. February 1st, 12:30pm or 2pm – Pless 2
Thurs. February 2nd, 5pm – Pless 3
|Application Deadline||Monday, February 6, 4pm|
|Orientation Leader Interview||Tues. February 21st-24 – Mon. February 27th (time TBA)|
|Orientation Leader Training||Fri. March 24th, 5-7pm
Fri. March 31st, 5-7pm
Fri. April 7th, 5-7pm
Fri. April 14th, 5-7pm
Fri. April 21st, 5-7pm
Fri. April 28th, 5-7pm
|Social Media Monitoring & Content Generation
(~10 hours weekly)
|Mon. May 1st – Fri. August 25th|
|New Student Seminar Development Session||Thurs. August 24th
Fri. August 25th
|Welcome Week||Sat. August 26th – Fri. September 1st, time TBA
~5-10 hour commitment
|New Student Seminar||Weekly TBD in Fall 2017|
|Office Hours||~3 hours weekly in Fall 2017|
|Departmental Meetings & Additional Trainings||TBD in Fall 2017|
|New Student Recruitment Events||TBD in Fall 2017|
Benefits & Compensation
- Participate in student leadership training & 1:1 student mentorship
- Establish positive relationships with faculty, staff and peers within the program
- Develop and articulate transferrable skills appropriate to your personal and professional goals
- Enhance your communication and facilitation skills
- Strengthen personal leadership identity
- $2000 stipend; disbursed in 3 payments from July – December 2017 contingent on satisfactory completion of position responsibilities. State & Federal Tax withholdings apply.