Academic prerequisites: Some preparatory academic work may be required in addition to the minimum specialization requirements for the degree; the need for such work is determined in consultation with an advisor.
Expectations of Doctoral Students:
- Departmental participation in research and service
- Engagement in research project development
- Teaching as an assistant in 1st year, shared or responsibility for a class (2nd year)
- Candidacy examination and grant proposal in 2nd year
- Work with a primary mentor and secondary advisor
- Departmental candidacy examination, which includes a written and oral examination.
- Preparation and defense of a research proposal.
- Development and completion of a doctoral research project.
- A written thesis (dissertation) on the project.
- A final oral examination on the dissertation research.