The materials below must be submitted by Dec. 1 and no exceptions are permitted.
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions must be submitted at the time of application.
- GRE with official scores submitted from ETS to NYU Steinhardt using institution code 2556.
- Applicants whose first language is not English are required to take one of the following English proficiency exams: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic. See more information on English proficiency testing.
- Current résumé or CV, including information about:
- Previous academic training at the undergraduate or master's level
- Previous work experience
- Potential to make a contribution to the profession
- Personal essay (2 - 3 pages single-spaced or 4 - 5 pages double-spaced) on the research area/topic you expect to pursue, your background preparation for advanced work in that area/topic, and some of the scholars whose work in that area has shaped your thinking, including identifying a potential mentor from our current faculty
- Three letters of recommendation from employers, former professors, or professional colleagues who have observed your work (at least one letter must be from a current or former professor)
- Book review of an academic work, no more than 500 words in length, preferably in the area in which you expect to focus your advanced study OR a published or submitted scholarly article in lieu of the book review requirement
- Application and application fee
Visit the Application Guide Page for additional information.