Research Associate Professor of Public Health
Danielle C. Ompad is a Research Associate Professor in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at NYUSteinhardt. She is also Associate Director of the Transdisciplinary Theoretical Synthesis and Development Core of NYU College of Nursing’s Center for Drug Use and HIV Research (CDHUR) and a faculty affiliate of the Center for Health, Identity, Behavior and Prevention Studies (CHIBPS). Dr.Ompad completed her B.S. in Biology at Bowie State University and her M.H.S. and Ph.D. in infectious disease epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health. She is an epidemiologist with extensive experience in the design, conduct and analysis of community-based cross-sectional and prospective studies focusing illicit drug use, risky sexual behavior, and adult access to vaccines in urban settings. Dr. Ompad served as a member of the Synergy Circle of the Knowledge Network on Urban Settings, a network created by WHO’s Commission on Social Determinants of Health to consider the role of urbanization in health outcomes. She has been a consultant to the World Health Organization and PAHO on urban health issues and was a member of the Rockefeller Foundation-funded Roundtable for Urban Living Environment Research (RULER) group. She is an Associate Editor for the Journal of Urban Health and the secretary for the International Society for Urban Health. Prior to moving to NYU-Steinhardt, Dr. Ompad was the Interim Director of the Center for Urban Epidemiologic Studies at the New York Academy of Medicine.
The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health
Bowie State University
- PUHE-UE 0070: Health and Society: Introduction to Public Health
- PUHE-GE 2355: Social and Behavioral Determinants of Health
- PUHE-GE 2361: Research Methods in Public Health
- 2013 : Excellence in Public Health Teaching Award
- 2010 : National Hispanic Science Network on Drug Abuse Scientific Development Travel Fellowship
- 2004 : Delta Omega Honorary Society, Alpha Chapter
- 2004 : Scholarship, XV International AIDS Conference in Bangkok, Thailand
- 2003 : NIH Loan Repayment Program recipient for Health Disparities Research
- 2002 : Scholarship, XIV International AIDS Conference in Barcelona, Spain
- 2000 : Scholarship, XIII International AIDS Conference in Durban, South Africa
- 2000 : NIDA Director's Travel Award recipient for the College of Problems on Drug Dependence Annual Scientific Meeting
- 1999 : National Institute on Drug Abuse Minority Supplement, pre-doctoral fellow
- Ompad DC, Fuller CM, Vlahov D, Thomas D, Strathdee SA. Lack of behavior change after disclosure of hepatitis C virus infection among young injection drug users in Baltimore, Maryland. Clin Infect Dis 2002;35(7):783-788.
- Friedman SR, Ompad DC, Maslow C, Young R, Case P, Diaz T, Hudson S, Morse E, Bailey S, Hollibaugh A, Perlis T, Des Jarlais DC, Garfein RS. HIV prevalence, risk behaviors, and high-risk sexual and injection networks among young women injectors who have sex with women. Am J Public Health 2003;93(6):902-906.
- Ompad DC, Galea S, Fuller CM, Phelan D, Vlahov D. Club drug use among minority substance users in New York City. J Psychoactive Drugs 2004;36(3):397-399.
- Ompad DC, Galea S, Wu Y, Fuller CM, Latka M, Koblin B, Vlahov D. Acceptance and completion of Hepatitis B vaccination among drug users in New York City. Commun Dis Public Health 2004;7(4):294-300.
- Ompad DC, Galea S, Fuller CM, Edwards V, Vlahov D. Ecstasy use among Hispanic and Black substance users in New York City. Subst Use Misuse. 2005;40(9):1399-1407.
- Ompad DC, Ikeda RM, Shah N, Fuller CM, Bailey S, Morse E, Kerndt P, Maslow C, Wu Y, Vlahov D, Garfein R, Strathdee SA. Childhood sexual abuse and age at initiation of injection drug use. Am J Public Health. 2005;95(4):703-709.
- Ompad DC, Fuller CM. Drug use and the urban environment. In: Galea S, Vlahov D, eds. Handbook of urban health: Populations, methods and practice. New York: Springer; 2005: (127-154).
- Ompad DC, Strathdee SA, Celentano DD, Latkin C, Poduska JM, Kellam SG, Ialongo NS. Predictors of early initiation of vaginal and oral sex among urban young adults in Baltimore, Maryland. Arch Sex Behav 2006;35(1):53-65.
- Bryant WK, Ompad DC, Ahern J, Wu Y, Vlahov D, Galea S. Period and birth cohort effects in age of first phencyclidine (PCP) use among drug users in New York City, 1960-2000. Ann Epidemiol. 2006;16(4):266-272.
- Bell AV, Ompad D, Sherman SG. Sexual and drug risk behaviors among women who have sex with women. Am J Public Health. 2006;96(6):1066-1072.
- Bryant WK, Ompad DC, Sisco S, Blaney S, Glidden K, Phillips E, Vlahov D, Galea S; for the Project VIVA Intervention Working Group. Determinants of influenza vaccination in hard-to-reach urban populations. Prev Med. 2006;43(1):60-70.
- Ompad DC, Galea S, Vlahov D. Distribution of Influenza Vaccine to High-Risk Groups. Epidemiol Rev. 2006;28:54-70.
- Ompad DC, Galea S, Caiaffa WT, Vlahov D. Social Determinants of the Health of Urban Populations: Methodologic Considerations. J Urban Health. 2007;84(3 Suppl 1):42-53.
- Weiss L, Ompad D, Galea S, Vlahov D. Defining Neighborhood Boundaries for Urban Health Research. Am J Prev Med 2007; 32(6S):S154-S159.
- Ompad DC, Galea S, Blaney S, Coady MH, Sisco S, Glidden K, Vlahov D. Access to influenza vaccine in East Harlem and the Bronx during a national vaccine shortage. J Community Health. 2007;32(3):195-202.
- Ompad DC, Galea S, Vlahov D. Urbanicity, urbanization and the urban environment. In: Galea S, ed. Macrosocial determinants of population health. New York: Springer, 2007: (53-69).
- Amesty S, Ompad DC, Galea S, Fuller CM, Wu Y, Koblin B, Vlahov D. Prevalence and Correlates of Previous Hepatitis B Vaccination and Infection Among Young Drug-users In New York City. J Community Health. 2008 Jun;33(3):139-48.
- Ompad DC, Galea S, Marshall G, Fuller CM, Weiss L, Beard JR, Chan C, Edwards V, Vlahov D. Sampling and Recruitment in Multilevel Studies among Marginalized Urban Populations: The IMPACT Studies. J Urban Health. 2008 Mar;85(2):268-80.
- Ompad DC, Fuller CM, Chan CA, Frye V, Vlahov D, Galea S. Prevalence and correlates of illicit methadone use in a large urban area: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2008 Oct 28;8(1):375.
- Burris S, Ompad DC. Healthy urban governance. In: Vlahov D, Boufford JI, Pearson C, Norris L, eds. Urban Health: Global Perspectives. New York: Jossey Bass, 2010: 355-370.
- Ompad DC, Friedman SR, Hwahng SJ, Nandi V, Fuller CM, Vlahov D. HIV Risk Behaviors Among Young Drug Using Women Who Have Sex With Women (WSWs) in New York City. Subst Use Misuse. 2011;46(2-3):274-84.
- Ompad DC, Nandi V, Cerdá M, Crawford N, Galea S, Vlahov D. Beyond income: Material resources among drug users in economically-disadvantaged New York City neighborhoods. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012;120(1-3):127-134.
- Ompad DC, Bell DL, Amesty S, Nyitray AG, Papenfuss M, Lazcano-Ponce E, Villa LL, Giuliano AR. Men who purchase sex, who are they? A cross-national study. J Urban Health 2013 [Epub ahead of print].
- More articles can be found here: (link)