How to Become a Registered Dietitian
The concentration in Nutrition and Dietetics fully prepares students to meet the educational knowledge and skills specified by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) as part of the requirements to become a Registered Dietitian (RD). The complete set of requirements includes:
- The Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD). This is the AND’s term for the collection of undergraduate courses that meet its established eligibility requirements and education standards. The core science, nutrition, foods, and food management courses in the Nutrition and Dietetics concentration meet the knowledge requirements*. The Department’s courses list specific planned learning experiences.
- Statement of DPD Verification. Students obtain this Statement in their final year of undergraduate study upon completion of the bachelor’s degree in Nutrition and Dietetics (HONF-RDS). Students applying to Dietetic Internships before graduation should request a “Declaration of Intent to finish the DPD” via DICAS.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. This requirement is met by completing the 128 credits of courses required for the Nutrition and Dietetics concentration (HONF-RDS) at NYU.
- Dietetic Internship. Students with either a Declaration of Intent or a DPD Verification may apply to enter Dietetic Internships that meet the AND’s accreditation standards. The Association lists accredited internship programs throughout the United States on its website http://eatright.org. Post-DPD students apply for internships through a national computer-matching program. You may access information about the NYU Dietetic Internship at http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/nutrition/internships/dietetic/.
- Verification of Internship Completion. This Statement is obtained from the Dietetic Internship Director when all Internship requirements are fulfilled.
At this point, students may apply to the AND’s Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) to take the dietetic registration examination and become RD-eligible on the CDR Registry. This application requires submission of the Verification Statements from the DPD and Internship at www.cdrnet.org.
Students who pass the examination earn the Registered Dietitian credential.
STUDENT MEMBERSHIP IN THE ACADEMY OF NUTRITION AND DIETETICS
Students in DPD programs or Dietetic Internships are eligible to join the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. For information about the organization, its benefits, and its membership requirements, consult the AND’s Website: http://eatright.org.
TO JOIN THE STUDENT COMMITTEE OF THE GREATER NEW YORK DIETETIC ASSOCIATION, go to: http://www.gnyda.org.
* The NYU Undergraduate Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) HONF-RDS is accredited by the Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606, 1-800-877-1600) until 2021.