NYU Steinhardt offers a Master of Music degree in the continuously expanding field of Music Technology. Located in New York City, the capital of the music industry, our Washington Square campus borders the city's Greenwich Village and SoHo districts, which have long been considered the center of New York's artistic community.
The Music Technology Program prepares students for careers in Audio Mastering, Audio-Visual Post Production, Computer Programming, Recording Engineering, Research and Development, Scoring for Film and Multimedia, Signal Processing, and Video Game Audio Production. Students are able to develop expertise within an academic setting where learning by creative experimentation is encouraged.
To obtain a Master's degree in Music Technology, a student must successfully complete 45 points, including required and elective classes. The Music Technology program at NYU was designed to offer each student a solid foundation in all areas of music technology, while giving the flexibility to obtain specialized expertise in the area of music and audio technology of greatest interest to each student.
In this M.M. program, students will
- Integrate musical and technical skills.
- Experiment with new relationships between experimental and traditional approaches to music by collaborating with NYU Performance and Composition programs.
- Demonstrate expertise by learning through creative experimentation.
- Demonstrate both a solid foundation in all areas of music technology and specialized expertise in the area of music and audio technology.
- Demonstrate competence in public oral presentation of their artistic and scholarly work.
Below are sample course sequences for graduate students, click on individual headings for more detailed information on each sequence. Note that all core courses - highlighted in bold below - must be completed within the first 18 months from matriculation. Core courses with a grade lower than C must be repeated. Please click only once, content make take several seconds to load.
The Game Audio sequence is intended for students with a focus in understanding the process and techniques used in the design of Games, including sound design, data mining, programming the game engine, business of gaming, and sound delivery to the player.