To begin the program in Summer or Fall semester: February 1
The begin the program in Spring semester: October 1
- Apply in your sophomore or junior year (see application requirements below)
- Once you are accepted, you will take 13 master's-level credits in your senior year as an undergraduate, while finishing your bachelor's degree
- Upon graduation for your bachelor's degree, advisor Eleanor Lee will request to remove the 13 credits from your undergraduate transcript
- Once you enter your fifth year of study (your first semester as a graduate student), you will need to request for transfer credits by sending Eleanor your official NYU transcript and the Graduate Transfer Credit Request Form
- You will then complete the remaining credits for your master's degree
Please note that applications will not be processed until all their components have been received.
- Change of Major Form (pick up form from 2nd Floor, Pless Hall)
- Bachelor's/Master's Dual Degree Declaration Form (pick up form from 2nd Floor, Pless Hall)
- Statement of Purpose
- GPA 3.5 and above
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcript
- Academic Plan (all courses completed and plan to take)
- A portfolio is required. See below.
- A portfolio of samples of previous professional, artistic or academic work on music, technology, and related fields. Examples include, but are not limited to, school papers, scientific publications (maximum 8 pages long), webpages or audiovisual materials of work you have composed, performed, recorded, mixed and/or produced.
- Portfolio-Related Links
The portfolio should be made available online (e.g. in your personal webpage).
- Please upload a document in which you list links, passwords (if needed), and descriptions for up to 3 works that you would like the Admissions Committee to review as part of your application. Do not upload the work itself. You should provide only a list of links to the works. Acceptable file types for the upload document are .doc, .docx and pdf. You are encouraged to use soundcloud.com and vimeo.com.
For complete information about financial aid, please see the Music Technology Financial Aid Opportunities.
As part of their financial aid package, students are often awarded work-study benefits. The music technology program offers several work-study-compatible employment opportunities. See more information about work study opportunities.