The 2017 MPAP Summer Programs Application will be available on January 15th, 2017.
|Program Dates: June 26 - July 14, 2017|
This program is intended for:
- High School, Undergraduate, and Graduate Students
- College Audition Workshop for high school sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Graduate School/Competition Workshop for college/graduate students
The NYU SummerStrings Audition Workshops are open to today’s most talented and promising young musicians, offering intensive training for many types of string auditions. There are two concurrent workshops held over three weeks: one for high school students preparing for college auditions and the other for college and graduate students preparing for competitions and/or graduate school auditions. The intensity of the schedule and exacting performance standards make SummerStrings most appropriate for serious, dedicated musicians ages 15-25.
These audition workshops will give you the skills you need to forge ahead with confidence! Under the guidance of NYU string faculty members, many of whom have won major competitions and orchestral auditions, you will spend your days putting together the elements needed for a successful audition. Faculty will assist you in preparing solo Bach, concerti, showpieces and etudes. You will learn sports psychology techniques to help deal with performance anxiety such as centering, mental practice and the perfect formula for audition preparation.
SummerStrings is pleased to offer Alexander Technique sessions to correct posture and teach bodily self-awareness. Participants who struggle with persistent bad habits have the opportunity to learn a ground-breaking method of overcoming them in as little as an hour. A select few participants will also have the opportunity to make a fully edited recording in NYU’s state-of-the-art James L. Dolan Studio.
Upon completion of the course, you will have a clearer understanding of the audition process that will enable you to achieve your goals!
Both programs include:
- Two private lessons and two chamber coachings per week
- Two hours of daily chamber music rehearsal
- Daily master classes and seminars on a series of topics ranging from building confidence through audition strategies to developing one’s musical voice through improvisation and freedom of expression
- Four hours of daily practice time
- Performance opportunities at bi-weekly student performances and chamber music recitals
- Evening and weekend activities that often include NY Philharmonic concerts, Broadway plays, Yankees and Mets games, sightseeing in New York City and visits to museums
NYU Artist Faculty include...
Alexander Technique: Edward Malave
Improvisation: Justin Hines
Applying to the non-credit program consists of two steps:
1. Online Application: You must first complete our online admissions application at [AAWS Summer App Link] in order to submit your auditions admission materials.
2. Audition Submission & Supplemental Material Upload: After you submit your application successfully, you will be sent an email link to the audition admissions website GetAcceptd. You will be required to submit a $55 application fee.
*Please note: You must have your application number available in order to successfully begin the audition submission step (provided when completing the online application - step 1).
International Students: Please also see special instructions for international applicants to the Summerstrings Workshop.
Current NYU students: If you are currently attending NYU and wish to apply to a summer program, you should not follow these steps and should instead review the application procedure listed under Information for Current NYU Students.
Online application guide:
|Starting an Application||
What to expect when completing the online application:
|Proof of English Proficiency (International Students Only)||
The audition or supplemental materials submission portion of the application is completed in a third party website called GetAcceptd.
Audition Submission & Supplemental Materials guide:
What to expect when completing the online application:
|How to complete||
*Minimum age allowed in NYU on-campus housing for a MPAP Summer Program is 15 years old.
|Total Housing/Meal Plan Cost||
|US Students||International Students|
|Application Fee (paid at the end of Acceptd application)||$55||$55|
|Housing and Meal Plan (if on-campus)||$1,230||$1,230|
|Health Insurance||Not Applicable||$280 Comprehensive Plan|
Accepted students will confirm their attendance once they have paid the enrollment deposit (detailed instructions provided in acceptance email). Residential students will have successfully registered for housing once they have paid the housing deposit and completed the housing application (sent via email after student confirms their attendance).
Enrollment deposit: $150
- Accepted applicants will make an enrollment deposit of $150 in order to confirm their attendance to their NYU MPAP Summer Program. (payment instructions provided within the initial acceptance email)
Housing deposit: $500
- If staying in on-campus housing, students are required to pay a $500 deposit to reserve a space in housing.
- The housing deposit is a portion of the housing charges, and is NOT a separate or added fee.
- The housing deposit is applied to any housing charges on your bill. Any excess balance remaining will be applied to tuition fees or refunded to the student.
Please note: the Application Fee, Enrollment Deposit and Housing Deposit are not refundable.
Paying the remaining balance:
After paying the deposit(s), students are responsible for paying the remaining balance prior to the start of the program. *While the remaining tuition may be posted immediately after deposits are made, the remaining housing bills are not sent until 2 weeks prior to the start of the program.
All fees, tuition and housing costs are charged to the students eSuites (online student billing system and personal account) via the NYU Bursars Office. Instructions on accessing the eSuites account can be found here.
*Please note: Payment by credit card is not accepted by the Bursar's office to pay remaining balances, please contact the Bursars Office directly for questions about payment.
For information, see the Finances page.
- All communications and admission decisions are provided via email (email account used when application was created).
- Many program directors make admission decisions on a rolling basis once a completed application is received. However, applicants can expect to receive a final admissions decision email no later than two weeks after the final application deadline date.
Students interested in financial aid should complete and submit the Scholarship Application that is sent to you once you complete the application process.
MPAP Summer Programs