The 2017 MPAP Summer Programs Application will be available on January 15th, 2017.
|Program Dates: June 25 - July 8, 2017|
This program is intended for:
- High School Students (at least 16 years of age or older), Undergraduates, Graduate Students, and Continuing Professionals
- Additionally you must be available Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. in order to participate in the workshop.
The Vocal Performance Program in Music and Performing Arts Professions offers a two-week intensive workshop during which students explore the techniques of music theatre performance from the perspective of an actor, singer, and dancer. The workshop consists of group and individual instruction. Activities include acting, song analysis and dance classes, choreography and musical staging rehearsals, private voice lessons and coachings, as well as a series of master classes on auditioning, utilizing technology, vocal function and a panel discussion with alumni artists currently working in the field. The workshop culminates with a showcase presentation in which students perform the material they have been working on in class.
“This was a once in a lifetime experience. The teachers seriously know their stuff and care about your growth as an artist. Thanks for an unforgettable summer!” -Jared Youmans
“This workshop has been so great. I have gained an amazing amount of knowledge in not only the art but also myself. The teachers here are fantastic to work with and the program overall is an absolute blast!”
“This program was wonderful. It allowed me to finally understand how to truthfully deliver a character’s story through song and movement.”
“This program has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life! It has both challenged me and inspired me to continue to work hard in order to achieve my goals and pursue my dreams! Thank you so much for all the work you put into this!”
"Meeting with and talking to graduates like Jay Armstrong Johnson, Ruthie Ann Miles and Elena Shaddow was amazing - their advice and stories really inspired me!"
"I thoroughly enjoyed the process of learning more about music theatre in song analysis. It was so unique, but everything I would have expected from NYU and in preparation for a career in the business.”
“The MPAP summer program allowed me to become more in touch with the skills of my craft, while also installing the basis of a strong work ethic that I can use for the rest of my life.”
“This program combines responsibility of being a student, the exceptional coaching of the NYU Steinhardt faculty and the exhilarating feeling of being in New York City. I couldn’t have been happier with the experiences and the friend I made.”
“I can't believe how much I have changed and grown in skill and confidence. Finally acting, singing and dancing are brought together in a way that makes perfect sense!"
“This program was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Not only was I spending 3 weeks in the magical city, but on top of that I made irreplaceable friendships and learned so much.”
“This workshop truly opened my eyes to the beauty of musical theatre. I always had a passion for music and theatre but this experience boosted it a ton. The professors were all so genuine and caring for the students. I really love this program and school.” -Stevie LeWarne
“I haven’t learned this much from any other intensive. Thank you so much.” -Osher Fein
Applying to the non-credit program consists of two steps:
1. Online Application: You must first complete our online admissions application at 2017 MPAP Summer Application in order to submit your auditions admission materials.
2. Audition Submission & Supplemental Material Upload: After you submit your application successfully, you will be sent an email link to the audition admissions website GetAcceptd. You will be required to submit a $55 application fee.
*Please note: You must have your application number available in order to successfully begin the audition submission step (provided when completing the online application - step 1).
International Students: Please also see special instructions for international applicants to the Summer Study in Music Theatre.
Current NYU students: If you are currently attending NYU and wish to apply to a summer program, you should not follow these steps and should instead review the application procedure listed under Information for Current NYU Students.
Online application guide:
|Starting an Application||
What to expect when completing the online application:
|Proof of English Proficiency (International Students Only)||
The audition or supplemental materials submission portion of the application is completed in a third party website called GetAcceptd.
Audition Submission & Supplemental Materials guide:
Summer Study in Music Theatre
What to expect when completing the online application:
|How to complete||
*Minimum age allowed in NYU on-campus housing for a MPAP Summer Program is 15 years old.
|Total Housing/Meal Plan Cost||
|US Students||International Students|
|Application Fee (paid at the end of Acceptd application)||$55||$55|
|Housing and Meal Plan (if on-campus)||$820||$820|
|Health Insurance||Not Applicable||$280 Comprehensive Plan|
Accepted students will confirm their attendance once they have paid the enrollment deposit (detailed instructions provided in acceptance email). Residential students will have successfully registered for housing once they have paid the housing deposit and completed the housing application (sent via email after student confirms their attendance).
Enrollment deposit: $150
- Accepted applicants will make an enrollment deposit of $150 in order to confirm their attendance to their NYU MPAP Summer Program. (payment instructions provided within the initial acceptance email)
Housing deposit: $500
- If staying in on-campus housing, students are required to pay a $500 deposit to reserve a space in housing.
- The housing deposit is a portion of the housing charges, and is NOT a separate or added fee.
- The housing deposit is applied to any housing charges on your bill. Any excess balance remaining will be applied to tuition fees or refunded to the student.
Please note: the Application Fee, Enrollment Deposit and Housing Deposit are not refundable.
Paying the remaining balance:
After paying the deposit(s), students are responsible for paying the remaining balance prior to the start of the program. *While the remaining tuition may be posted immediately after deposits are made, the remaining housing bills are not sent until 2 weeks prior to the start of the program.
All fees, tuition and housing costs are charged to the students eSuites (online student billing system and personal account) via the NYU Bursars Office. Instructions on accessing the eSuites account can be found here.
*Please note: Payment by credit card is not accepted by the Bursar's office to pay remaining balances, please contact the Bursars Office directly for questions about payment.
For information, see the Finances page.
- All communications and admission decisions are provided via email (email account used when application was created).
- Many program directors make admission decisions on a rolling basis once a completed application is received. However, applicants can expect to receive a final admissions decision email no later than two weeks after the final application deadline date.
Scholarships are not offered in conjunction with this program.
MPAP Summer Programs