Session 1: June 26 - July 7, 2017
Session 2: July 10 - July 21, 2017
This program is intended for:
- High School, Undergraduate Students, Post-College and Graduate Students
The NYU Summer Jazz Improvisation Workshop combines cutting-edge jazz education with master classes and workshops by the finest jazz musicians in New York City. This workshop offers courses covering a wide range of subjects and a diverse ensemble program tailored to the needs of intermediate to advanced students. Along with world-renowned jazz studies faculty, the workshop will include daily interaction with jazz musicians from around the world, making this a unique opportunity that could only be offered in Greenwich Village, the mecca for jazz.
Courses offer an in-depth look into the areas of jazz theory, improvisation and rhythm, geared towards the intermediate to advanced student. Ensembles concentrate on techniques for improvisation. A wide range of weekly master classes and performances are scheduled throughout the workshop. Located in the heart of Greenwich Village, students have access to the world's greatest music scene and are surrounded by legendary jazz clubs including the Blue Note, the Village Vanguard, the Jazz Standard, Birdland and Jazz at Lincoln Center.
You will have over twenty-five music clubs within five blocks from your residence hall. Residence hall rooms are conveniently located within blocks of the jazz studies building and the beautiful and historic Washington Square Park. Below you will find more specific information on courses, ensembles, daily events, application and audition information, meals and housing, fees and age requirements.
Course & Faculty
Courses include jazz theory, jazz improvisation, rhythm classes, small group ensembles, and master classes by a wide variety of NYC jazz musicians. Individual private lessons can also be arranged for an additional fee.
Summer Jazz Improvisation Workshop faculty will be selected from the current roster of NYU Jazz studies faculty. Last year's faculty included (this year's artists are TBA):
Previous year's master class artists included (this year's artists are TBA):
Bill Stewart, Nate Smith, Eddie Henderson, Joe Lovano, John Riley, Elliot Mason, Stefon Harris, Drew Gress, Kenny Werner, Dafnis Prieto, Sam Newsome, Wayne Krantz, Randy Johnston, Chris Potter, and Peter Bernstein.
For a complete list of current NYU Jazz faculty, please click here.
Applying to the non-credit program consists of two steps:
1. Online Application: You must first complete our online admissions application at 2017 MPAP Summer Application in order to submit your auditions admission materials.
2. Audition Submission & Supplemental Material Upload: After you submit your application successfully, you will be sent an email link to the audition admissions website GetAcceptd. You will be required to submit a $55 application fee.
*Please note: You must have your application number available in order to successfully begin the audition submission step (provided when completing the online application - step 1).
International Students: Please also see special instructions for international applicants to the Summer Jazz Improv Workshop.
Current NYU students: If you are currently attending NYU and wish to apply to a summer program, you should not follow these steps and should instead review the application procedure listed under Information for Current NYU Students.
Online application guide:
|Starting an Application||
What to expect when completing the online application:
|Proof of English Proficiency (International Students Only)||
The audition or supplemental materials submission portion of the application is completed in a third party website called GetAcceptd.
Audition Submission & Supplemental Materials guide:
Summer Jazz Improv Workshop
What to expect when completing the online application:
|How to complete||
*Minimum age allowed in NYU on-campus housing for a MPAP Summer Program is 15 years old.
|Total Housing/Meal Plan Cost||
|US Students||International Students|
|Application Fee (paid at the end of Acceptd application)||$55||$55|
|Housing and Meal Plan (if on-campus)||$820||$820|
|Health Insurance||Not Applicable||$280 Comprehensive Plan|
Accepted students will confirm their attendance once they have paid the enrollment deposit (detailed instructions provided in acceptance email). Residential students will have successfully registered for housing once they have paid the housing deposit and completed the housing application (sent via email after student confirms their attendance).
Enrollment deposit: $150
- Accepted applicants will make an enrollment deposit of $150 in order to confirm their attendance to their NYU MPAP Summer Program. (payment instructions provided within the initial acceptance email)
Housing deposit: $500
- If staying in on-campus housing, students are required to pay a $500 deposit to reserve a space in housing.
- The housing deposit is a portion of the housing charges, and is NOT a separate or added fee.
- The housing deposit is applied to any housing charges on your bill. Any excess balance remaining will be applied to tuition fees or refunded to the student.
Please note: the Application Fee, Enrollment Deposit and Housing Deposit are not refundable.
Paying the remaining balance:
After paying the deposit(s), students are responsible for paying the remaining balance prior to the start of the program. *While the remaining tuition may be posted immediately after deposits are made, the remaining housing bills are not sent until 2 weeks prior to the start of the program.
All fees, tuition and housing costs are charged to the students eSuites (online student billing system and personal account) via the NYU Bursars Office. Instructions on accessing the eSuites account can be found here.
*Please note: Payment by credit card is not accepted by the Bursar's office to pay remaining balances, please contact the Bursars Office directly for questions about payment.
For information, see the Finances page.
- All communications and admission decisions are provided via email (email account used when application was created).
- Many program directors make admission decisions on a rolling basis once a completed application is received. However, applicants can expect to receive a final admissions decision email no later than two weeks after the final application deadline date.
Students interested in financial aid should complete and submit the Scholarship Application that is sent to you once you complete the application process.
MPAP Summer Programs
Dr. Dave Schroeder