Program Dates: June 26 - July 7, 2017
Program Dates: July 10 -- July 21, 2017
Intended For: High School, Undergraduate, and Graduate Students
Program Details (Click Here)
Courses & Faculty
Courses include jazz theory, jazz improvisation, rhythm classes, small group ensembles, and master classes by a wide variety of NYC jazz musicians. Individual private lessons can also be arranged for an additional fee.
Summer Jazz Improvisation Workshop faculty will be selected from the current roster of NYU Jazz studies faculty. Last year's faculty included (this year's artists are TBA):
Adam Rogers, guitar
Previous year's master class artists included (this year's artists are TBA):
Bill Stewart, Nate Smith, Eddie Henderson, Joe Lovano, John Riley, Elliot Mason, Stefon Harris, Drew Gress, Kenny Werner, Dafnis Prieto, Sam Newsome, Wayne Krantz, Randy Johnston, Chris Potter, and Peter Bernstein.
For a complete list of current NYU Jazz faculty, please click here.
Priority Application Deadline: April 14, 2017
Final Application Deadline: April 28, 2017
What to expect:
Courses offer an in-depth look into the areas of jazz theory, improvisation and rhythm, geared towards the intermediate to advanced student. Ensembles concentrate on techniques for improvisation. A wide range of weekly master classes and performances are scheduled throughout the workshop. Located in the heart of Greenwich Village, students have access to the world's greatest music scene and are surrounded by legendary jazz clubs including the Blue Note, the Village Vanguard, the Jazz Standard, Birdland and Jazz at Lincoln Center.
You will have over twenty-five music clubs within five blocks from your residence hall. Residence hall rooms are conveniently located within blocks of the jazz studies building and the beautiful and historic Washington Square Park. Below you will find more specific information on courses, ensembles, daily events, application and audition information, meals and housing, fees and age requirements.
Below are all costs associated with the Jazz Improv Workshop:
- Tuition: $2,500
- Application Fee: $55: nonrefundable and paid at the end of the 2017 Summer Application
- Housing & Meal Plan (optional): $820 shared room with 10 meals and 30 Dining Dollars per week
- See the Housing & Meal Plan page for more information
- International Students have additional Visa and/or participation fees
Costs and Fees Details (Click Here)
|US Students||International Students|
|Application Fee (paid at the end of Acceptd application)||$55||$55|
|Housing and Meal Plan (if on-campus)||$820||$820|
|Health Insurance||Not Applicable||$280 Comprehensive Plan|
Enrollment deposit: $150
- Accepted applicants will make an enrollment deposit of $150 in order to confirm their attendance to their NYU MPAP Summer Program. (payment instructions provided within the initial acceptance email)
Housing deposit: $500
- If staying in on-campus housing, students are required to pay a $500 deposit to reserve a space in housing.
- The housing deposit is a portion of the housing charges, and is NOT a separate or added fee.
- The housing deposit is applied to any housing charges on your bill. Any excess balance remaining will be applied to tuition fees or refunded to the student.
Please note: the Application Fee, Enrollment Deposit and Housing Deposit are not refundable.
Paying the remaining charges:
For those who are planning on staying on campus, students will have successfully registered for housing when they have completed the housing application and paid the housing deposit.
After paying the deposit(s), students are responsible for paying the remaining balance prior to the start of the program. *While the remaining tuition may be posted immediately after deposits are made, the remaining housing bills are not sent until 2 weeks prior to the start of the program.
All fee's, tuition and housing costs are charged to the students eSuites (online student billing system and personal account) via the NYU Bursars Office. Instructions on making payment(s) are provided to accepted students by MPAP Summer Programs in communications sent to enrolled students' personal and NYU email accounts.
For information about financial aid and scholarships, see the Finances page.
A completed application consists of:
- A 2017 MPAP Summer Application
- Correctly uploaded audition materials in Get Acceptd and a $55 application fee (paid at the end of Acceptd)
*If you are an international student please go to the Application for International Students Website for application details.
Your application will be reviewed once your application is complete and not beforehand.
APPLY NOW (Click Here)
Current NYU students should not follow these steps and should review the application procedure listed under Information for Current NYU Students.
Please visit the Application Information page for a more detailed explanation of the application process.
- Submit a video recording with three contrasting jazz standards of your choice that demonstrate the breadth and range of your work and a command of the jazz language. You must be accompanied by a live rhythm section of piano or guitar, bass, and drums. If you are a rhythm section player, you must perform with at least a trio of piano or guitar, bass and drums.
Audition Details (Click Here)
Note: Audition requirements are different for each program depending on program director specifications. All audition materials are uploaded via "Get Accetpd" within the second portion of the MPAP Summer Programs Application (further instructions regarding application found here).
Session I Session II
Move in: June 25, 2017 Move in: July 9, 2017
Move out: July 8 2017 Move out: July 22, 2017
Important Housing Information (Click Here)
Please note, admitted students in need of on-campus housing will be sent the housing application after accepting their spot within their program. Housing requires a deposit of $500 towards your total housing charges that is to be paid as completion of the housing application.
*The meal plan is mandatory for students who stay in on-campus housing.
|Housing:||$488 (shared room in Weinstein Hall)|
|Meal Plan:||$332 (10 meals and $30 dining dollars per week)|
- Complete the 2017 MPAP Summer Programs Application
- With indication of housing need and financial need (if that would apply to your situation)
- Submit proof of English language proficiency
Important International Student Details (Click Here)
- If admitted into your program the next step is to obtain the required F-1 or J-1 student visa. You must:
- Complete the I-20/DS-2019 Application that is emailed directly to you (including processing fee reciept)
- Follow instructions provided by the Office of Global Services (OGS) until visa completion
- Once on campus, international students must attend the international student check-in. Exact date/time/location is provided at student orientation.
- At NYU, health insurance is required for F-1 and J-1 students. International students are automatically enrolled in a one month Summer Term health insurance policy at $270.
If you are an international student and you are interested in applying for the MPAP Summer Programs, please visit the International Students page.
MPAP Summer Programs
Dr. Dave Schroeder