- This program is only accepting auditors at this time. (See How to Apply.)
- Final Application Deadline: April 21, 2014
- Program Dates: June 4 - June 13, 2014
- Required Student Orientation: June 3, 2014, 3 p.m.
- Housing Dates: June 1 - June 14, 2014
- Tuition: $1,250 Participant, $375 Auditor
- Scoring for Film and Multimedia website
Following in the vision and legacy of Buddy Baker, the 2014 NYU/ASCAP Foundation Film Scoring Workshop will continue to present the rich traditions of classical Hollywood film scoring. Dedicated sessions will address the creative process, orchestrating, conducting, and MIDI mockups. Participants will choose a clip from a selection of rough cuts, representing a variety of genres. The workshop will culminate in a full day of recording sessions, featuring New York City's top-tier studio musicians. Previous workshops included players from the NY Philharmonic and The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, and have been recorded by such top flight engineers as Paul Geluso and Lawrence Manchester.
For the benefit of auditors and participants, all faculty and participant interactions, lectures, and comments will be amplified and projected on to large screens. Auditors will attend all proceedings, including the live recording sessions and critiques. All sessions of the workshop will take place in the Frederick Loewe Theatre at New York University's Steinhardt School. Participants leave with a professional digital demo of their work.
The workshop continues to be taught by some of today's most creative composers and orchestrators, this year spearheaded by Homeland and 24 composer Sean Callery. Summer core faculty member Mark Snow (Blue Bloods and X-Files) and NYU Film Scoring faculty member Ira Newborn (Naked Gun) will also be featured. Other participating NYU faculty include Sonny Kompanek, Mike Patterson, David Spear, Mark Suozzo, Tim Starnes, and Ron Sadoff. The ASCAP Foundation and the Society of Composers and Lyricists, with SCL President and veteran composer Dan Foliart (7th Heaven) will headline additional presentations on the art and business of film music.
Below are all costs associated with the NYU / ASCAP Foundation Film Scoring Workshop:
- Tuition: $1,250 participant, $375 auditor
- Application Fee: $50; nonrefundable and paid at the end of the 2014 Summer Application
- Housing and Meal Plan (optional): $718 shared room with 10 meals and 30 Dining Dollars per week - see the Housing and Meal Plan page for more information
If you would like to be considered for the workshop you must complete the following:
- Complete a 2014 Summer Application
- Submit all Audition Requirements and supplemental materials (see ASCAP Film Scoring Workshop)
MPAP Summer Programs