Studies in percussion performance at NYU provide aspiring students advanced performance training combined with the finest related academic and music courses. The M.M. program in Music Performance attracts accomplished musicians interested in intensive training for careers in music performance. This program requires the completion of a minimum of 36 points. Prior to starting the program, students are required to take evaluation tests in music theory, aural skills and music history. Students showing deficiencies in any of the above tests, may be required to take courses in addition to the minimum of 36 points required to graduate.
The mission of the Instrumental Performance Program is to nurture excellence by providing advanced performance training combined with the finest related academic and music courses.
Student Learning Objectives
1. Students will develop the necessary knowledge and skills to achieve a high level of musical excellence that enables them to pursue their career goals as professional musicians and/or through entrepreneurship.
2. Students will identify repertoire from the 18th, 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries, and analyze the performance practices, both historical and contemporary, informing the performance of that repertoire.
3. Students will demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills.
4. Students will demonstrate and apply entrepreneurs skills essential to the real and varied world of the music profession which will include concert programming, grant writing, promotional/audience development, website design and press releases.
5. Students will demonstrate practical, working knowledge of technology commonly used in the music business.
Percussion students enroll in percussion ensembles and percussion repertoire classes that study and perform classics, world premieres, experimental music, world music, commercial with film, with dance, and with mixed ensembles. Combined with the Department's numerous wind and string chamber ensembles, jazz ensembles, Symphony Orchestra, and New Music and Dance Ensembles, our percussion students have extraordinary performance opportunities.
For more information regarding our Advanced Certificate Program, designed specificially for masters degree holders, please click here.