NYU SYMPHONY AND PHILHARMONIA AUDITIONS
- Two complete, contrasting works from different style periods
- Solo work of choice
- Standard orchestral excerpts from all of the following for Performance Majors. Non-Performance Majors may elect to play two solo movements and three orchestral excerpts of their own choosing.
- Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition, "Promenade"
- Stravinsky: Petrouchka, "Ballerina's Dance"
- Respighi: Pines of Rome
- Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night's Dream, Nocturne
- Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 8
- Mozart: Requiem, "Tuba Mirum"
- Rossini: La gazza ladra
- Wagner: Ride of the Valkyries
- Bass Trombone
- Haydn: The Creation, No. 26
- Schumann: Symphony No. 3
- Rossini: La gazza ladra
- Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5
- Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis
- Gershwin: An American in Paris, Solo
- Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition, "Bydlo"
- Holst: The Planets
- Strauss: Don Quixote
- Percussion (for Orchestras, New Music, and all Percussion Ensembles)
- Snare drum
- One Delecluse or Cirone snare drum solo
- Standard excerpt from Lieutenant Kijé
- One 4-mallet solo
- Standard Porgy and Bess xylophone excerpt
- One Goodman, Hochrainer, Firth or Carter timpani solo
- Standard Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4, 1st mvt. excerpt
- Orchestral assignments based on teacher recommendation and need
- Incoming pianists should prepare two contrasting pieces for chamber ensemble auditions made by appointment with Dr. Marilyn Nonken
NYU COMMUNITY ORCHESTRA
- Two short, contrasting pieces, approximately 1/2 page each in length
- One song
- Sight reading and pitch matching
- Improvisation for those interested in the Jazz Choir
The Men's Glee Club does not require auditions, but please sign-up to audition if you wish to meet the director or audition for more than one choir.
There are no auditions for the Children’s Chorus; we simply require that the child wants to sing and that the family makes a commitment to the rehearsals. New singers are accepted at the first rehearsal.
JAZZ STUDIES PROGRAM ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS
- Auditioners should prepare three jazz standards of contrasting tempos and styles, demonstrating improvisation and interactive skills within a live trio setting.
- You will be asked to perform one of these compositions and you may also be asked to perform with fellow auditioners.
- There will be a live rhythm section at each audition. Please bring three copies of each of your lead sheets to your audition.
NYU CONCERT BAND AND MUSIC EDUCATION JAZZ ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS
- Two contrasting pieces
Percussionists interested in auditioning for the Concert Band please contact Professor Breaux for equipment and a date for your audition.
Drum auditions for the Music Ed Jazz Ensemble will take place at the first rehearsal on Monday, September 9th at 7:30 pm. Please contact Professor Breaux to arrange for an audition.