CLASSICAL INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC PERFORMANCE MAJORS
- All Steinhardt Classical String, Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion Performance Majors must complete an orchestral ensemble audition for placement in either the NYU Symphony Orchestra or the NYU Philharmonia. All Classical String and Brass Performance Majors must register for orchestra. Classical Woodwind and Percussion Performance Majors register by advisement.
- Please note that orchestra rehearsals and concerts are a priority for Classical Instrumental Music Performance Majors. All other classes, performance activities, and work must be scheduled around orchestra rehearsals and concerts.
- Returning Classical String, Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion Performance Majors will be assigned to a chamber ensemble for a given semester at the end of the previous semester.
- Chamber ensemble assignments for incoming Classical String, Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion Performance Majors are based on orchestral ensemble auditions.
New Music Ensembles
- String, Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion Performance Majors will be invited to join NYU’s New Music Ensembles based on their fall-semester orchestral/chamber auditions.
- Percussion Performance Majors will be invited to join the Percussion Studio Ensemble, NYU Steel, and/or the World Percussion Ensemble based on their fall-semester orchestral/chamber auditions.
- Opportunities for orchestral pianists are reserved for Classical Piano Performance Majors and for pianists studying with NYU Steinhardt Artist Faculty.
- Classical Piano Performance Majors need not audition for orchestral placement; they will be assigned to orchestra concerts based on teacher recommendation and need.
- Returning Piano Performance Majors will be assigned to a chamber ensemble for a given semester at the end of the previous semester.
- Incoming Classical Piano Performance Majors are placed in chamber ensembles as a result of auditions made by appointment with Dr. Marilyn Nonken, firstname.lastname@example.org.
VOCAL PERFORMANCE MAJORS
Vocal performance majors complete one audition for all choral ensembles and will be placed in one or more ensembles accordingly.
JAZZ PERFORMANCE MAJORS
Please see the NYU Jazz Ensembles webpage.
NON-PERFORMANCE MAJORS IN STEINHARDT MPAP AND ALL-UNIVERSITY NON-MUSIC MAJORS
Any student in any school at NYU may audition for the following Steinhardt ensembles:
- NYU Symphony**
- NYU Philharmonia**
- NYU Community Orchestra
- Woodwind and Brass Chamber Music Ensembles
- Concert Band
- Music Education Jazz Ensemble
- All choral ensembles
- All jazz ensembles
- Pipes and Drums
These students should check the appropriate box to indicate their major on the online signup form, where available, or contact the relevant ensemble director (from the Ensembles Overview page) for advisement.
If placed in a Steinhardt orchestra or ensemble, Non-Performance and Non-Music Majors may register for said ensemble, according to advisement from their director of studies and the relevant ensemble director.
Acceptance into a Steinhardt ensemble requires attendance at all rehearsals and concerts.
**While priority for the NYU Symphony and Philharmonia is given to Instrumental Performance Majors, Non-Performance and Non-Music Majors are accepted into these orchestras based on audition and availability. Those Non-Performance and Non-Music Majors wishing to audition ONLY for the Community Orchestra can choose that option when signing up for auditions.