Music Education

Music Education FAQ


Undergraduate FAQs

Graduate FAQs

As a music education major will I be able to audition for music theatre and opera productions?
The music theatre and opera productions are open for all to audition.  In the past, some of the major roles in the opera productions have been sung by music education majors. 

Will I have a private lesson?
As a music education major you will have a one hour a week lesson with your private teacher.  There are also practices rooms with pianos available to all music students so that you may practice throughout the week. 

I want to continue studying jazz, will that be a problem?
Our program offers opportunities to not only play in several different kinds of jazz ensembles and combos, but it is also possible to request a private teacher whose focus will be jazz. 

Do you accept AP theory?
Taking music theory in high school will prepare you for the theory/aural placement exam that all incoming freshmen and transfer students must take at NYU.  While we do not accept the AP theory exam the class will prepare you for the NYU placement exam and, in many cases, will help you test out of one or more semesters of Music Theory.  You can then use those points to select other courses of interest and/or in your specialization.

Can I study abroad and still continue my music studies?
We encourage all students to study abroad and have two very special sites that are geared specifically toward music students.  We offer music theory, aural comprehension, keyboard harmony, music history classes as well as ensembles and private lessons at NYU Prague and NYU Florence.  

Will I have an advisor?
At the core of the NYU mission is the importance of the advisor/student relationship.  You will meet your advisor during registration and welcome week and then continue to meet with that person throughout your four years as a student. 

Can I double major?
Undergraduates can double major in Music Education and a subject area outside of music.  At New York University, you cannot double major in two areas that share a common core curriculum.  The “core curriculum” is the same for all music majors:  4 semesters each of Music theory, Aural Comprehension, Keyboard Harmony, and Music History.  Therefore, you cannot double major in two music areas. 


Do I need an undergraduate degree in Music Education to apply for the Master’s program?
No. We welcome applications from students in all areas of music: performance, composition, music theatre, music technology, and so forth.  Note that an audition and placement examinations in music history and theory are required. In addition, please provide an example of your writing with your application (e.g., an essay you have written for an undergraduate course.)

Do I need an undergraduate degree in Music?
No. An undergraduate degree in music in not required, but an audition and placement examination in music history and theory are required.  Also, please provide an example of your writing with you application (e.g., an essay you have written for an undergraduate course.)

What must I prepare for my audition?
Please visit the Music Ed Auditions page for all the details.

Do I need to take GREs for the Music Education master’s program?
No.  Only prospective doctoral students must take the GRE.
What is the difference between the 40 credits program and the 36 credits program?
The 40 credits Masters program (MUSA) prepares students for New York State certification as K-12 music educators. After completing coursework and 100 hours of observations in schools, students must complete student teaching under supervision in elementary and secondary schools.  A Research Project is required.

The 36 credits major (MES: MCC) is for people who either already have state certification and want a masters in music education. It does not include observations or student teaching. This degree is designed for those wishing to go on to PhD studies. A Research Thesis is required.

Will I have the opportunity to perform and/or take lessons?
There are numerous opportunities to sing with chorus or play in instrumental ensembles.  You are required to participate for a minimum of two semesters in an ensemble. In addition, students may take private lessons on voice or instruments.