Our NYU Music Education Program is dedicated to developing artistic, reflective, and creative music educators for careers in schools, the community and private settings.
Our B.M., M.A., and Ph.D. music education majors perform and study with New York's finest classical, jazz, music theater, world music performers, and artist-teachers.
Through our programs you have access to:
- an internationally renowned faculty of music education scholars
- Greenwich Village and New York City, the cultural capital of the world
- supervised teaching placements and internships in New York's finest public, private, and community music schools
- diverse learners in multicultural environments
- unparalleled music technology facilities
- NYU's study abroad programs in Prague, Florence, and 25 other cities on four continents
- arts education consortiums including music, art, dance and theater
All of these opportunities take full advantage of a warm and collegial Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions that offers an exceptional range of program electives including Performance, Music Technology, Composition, Educational Theatre, Dance Education, Music Therapy, Music Theatre and Classical Voice, Jazz Studies, and more.
The NYU Steinhardt Teacher Education Program is fully accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council.
B.M., M.A., 6th-Year Certificate, Ph.D.
To speak to us personally, or to arrange a visit, please contact our advisors:
Undergraduate Music Education: Prof. Ira Shankman
Graduate Music Education (M.A.), contact: Prof. Nancy Shankman
Graduate Music Education (M.A.) and Advanced Certificate, contact: Dr. John Gilbert
Ph.D., contact: Dr. David J. Elliott
General contact: Dr. Thomas MacFarlane