Please note that transfer students are only accepted for the Fall semester.
Undergraduate Composition portfolio must contain:
- Three or four scores of original works in different instrumentation and style and audio recordings of at least two of them. (Portfolio requirements are different for applicants interested in the Contemporary Production and Songwriting concentration.)
- Applicants interested in the Scoring for Film and Multimedia concentration are welcome to include examples of their work with visual media.
Portfolio must be submitted online via GetAcceptd by the appropriate deadline noted in the Dates and Deadlines section below. All materials must clearly indicate the applicant's name and NYU ID Number (if applicable), the program applied to, and the contents of the file.
In addition to portfolio submission, an audition is required for undergraduate applicants.
- Perform two pieces in contrasting styles on an instrument of your choice. One of these pieces may be a composition of your own, but at least one (and, if you prefer, both) of them must be a work by a composer other than yourself
- Accompanists are not required or provided
- Live auditions will include a short interview about your history as a composer, and may include a discussion of works in your portfolio and testing of music theory fundamentals
- If you cannot make the audition, please upload a video audition according to the guidelines linked here no later than the audition date for your application type as noted in the Dates and Deadlines section below.
Dates and Deadlines
|Audition Date||Portfolio Deadline||Applicant Type
|November 12, 2016||November 12, 2016||Early Decision applicants|
|January 28, 2017||January 20, 2017||Freshman/Transfer applicants|
|February 18, 2017||February 10, 2017||Freshman/Transfer applicants (final Freshman date)|
|March 25, 2017||March 17, 2017||Transfer applicants ONLY|
Note for Prospective Transfer Students:
Though NYU's deadline for Fall transfer admission is April 1, we suggest that you submit your Common Application at least one month in advancet o allow sufficient time to schedule an audition on one of the dates above.
SCHEDULE YOUR AUDITION online after you have applied.
For general composition program inquiries: Dr. Youngmi Ha, firstname.lastname@example.org
For the Scoring for Film and Multimedia concentration: Dr. Ron Sadoff, email@example.com, or Professor Mark Suozzo, firstname.lastname@example.org
For the Contemporary Production and Songwriting concentration: Professor Phil Galdston, email@example.com.