Build on your performing arts background and prepare for a leadership role in national and international performing arts organizations. This master of arts program combines intensive study in performing arts management and related disciplines with internships at leading New York City organizations. You will learn how to imagine creative solutions to emergent problems, think critically, communicate effectively, and manage both human and material resources. You’ll also hone your business skills through classes at the NYU Stern School of Business or the NYU Wagner Graduate School of Public Service.
What you'll learn
- How to apply fundamental tenets of business and management (marketing, law, audience development, fundraising, board development and board relations, economics, and statistics) to the administration of performing arts organizations
- Leadership skills applicable to performing arts administration
- How to apply an interdisciplinary perspective and integrate economics, statistics, marketing, accounting, finance, planning, law, cultural policy, and philanthropic development in your coursework and internship
- How to identify and evaluate important issues such as cultural policy, public funding, sponsorship, and marketing in varied international locations
See the curriculum and requirements for this degree.
How you'll learn
Management Studies, Seminars, and Electives
This graduate curriculum consists of 48 points, or credits, and can be completed in two years of full-time study. The curriculum includes 18 points of coursework in management studies either at the Stern School of Business or the Wagner School of Public Service. You’ll also take seminars such as Environment of Arts Administration, Marketing the Performing Arts, Planning and Finance for the Performing Arts, and Governance; choose from electives including Management and Arts Administration with advice of the program director; and complete an internship. A major paper, project, or case study is required in the Seminar on Cultural Policy: Issues in Arts Administration.
Interdisciplinary and Collaborative Study
The Performing Arts Administration program offers unparalleled training within a university that is acclaimed for its preparation of leaders in business, management, and the arts. Our faculty and students frequently collaborate with Steinhardt’s programs in music business and visual arts administration, the Stern School of Business, and the Wagner Graduate School of Public Service.
Intern at a Leading New York City Arts Organization
As a graduate student in this program, you'll acquire hands-on experience through an internship placement at a leading New York City arts organization. Recent placements include internships at the American Ballet Theatre, the Manhattan Theatre Club, the Metropolitan Opera Association, the New York Philharmonic in the education department, the Brooklyn Academy of Music in institutional fundraising, the New York Foundation for the Arts in finance and in programming, the Paul Taylor Company in marketing, and the Atlantic Theater Company in marketing. See more information about interships.
Study Abroad Opportunities
You'll have unique opportunities to study comparative issues and practice in arts administration through our summer study abroad program in Europe, the first in the nation to take students and professionals abroad to study cultural policy, public funding, sponsorship, and marketing in Germany and the Netherlands.
What you can do with this degree
Our graduates are in high demand and are frequently recruited by our own alumni, who hold positions such as:
- President, Philadelphia Orchestra
- Marketing and Planning Director, Metropolitan Opera Association
- Executive Director, Sundance Foundation
- Finance Director, Jazz at Lincoln Center
- Chief Financial Officer, Cunningham Dance Foundation
- Director of Marketing, Orange County Arts Center
- Director of Development, McCarter Theater
- Executive Director, SoHo Rep
- Business Manager, Danspace
- Director of Arts Administration Program, Drexel University
For more information about this MA program, please contact
212 998 5505