Associate Professor of Media, Culture, and Communication
Research interests include: social and industrial histories of the media, visual culture, television studies, and the interrelationships between various media systems. Her work has appeared in journals such as The Journal of Visual Culture, Cinema Journal, Television and New Media as well as numerous anthologies. Murray is the author of Hitch Your Antenna to the Stars: Early Television and Broadcast Stardom (Routledge, 2005) and the coeditor of Reality TV: Remaking Television Culture (NYU Press, 2004; second edition, 2009) with Laurie Ouellette. She is currently working on Brought to You In Living Color: A Cultural History of Color Television (working title), a book project under contract with Duke University Press.
During the 2013-14 academic year, Professor Murray will be be a fellow with the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) and with the Humanities Initiative at NYU.
University of Texas at Austin
New School for Social Research
University of Wisconsin at Madison
- Reality TV: Remaking Television Culture, Second Edition, co-edited with Laurie Ouellette (New York: New York University Press) 2009. (link)
- Hitch Your Antenna to the Stars: Early Television and Broadcast Stardom (New York: Routledge) 2005. (link)
- Reality TV: Remaking Television Culture, co-edited with Laurie Ouellette (New York: New York University Press) 2004. (link)
- “Amateur Auteurs: The Cultivation of Online Video Content Producers”, Media Authorship, ed. David Gerstner and Cynthia Chris (New York: Routledge) 2012. (link)
- “New Media and Vernacular Photography: Revisiting Flickr,” The Photographic Image in Digital Culture, 2nd edition, ed. Martin Lister (New York: Routledge) forthcoming 2013.
- “The Politics of Reality TV: An Overview of Recent Research” Mass Media and Society, 5th edition, ed. James Curran and Michael Gurevitch, (London: Bloomsbury Academic) 2010.
- "Digital Images, Photo-sharing, and Our Shifting Notions of Everyday Aesthetics", Journal of Visual Culture Volume 7, no. 2, August 2008: 147-163. (link)
- "' I Think We Need a New Name for It'": The Meeting of Documentary and Reality Television," Reality TV: Remaking Television Culture Susan Murray and Laurie Ouellette, eds. (New York: New York University Press) 2004: 40-56.
- "'TV Satisfaction Guaranteed!' Nick at Nite and TV Land's Adult Attractions," Nickelodeon Nation: The History, Politics and Economics of America's Only TV Channel for Kids, ed. Heather Hendershot (New York: New York University Press) 2004: 69-84.
- "Ethnic Masculinity and Early Television's Vaudeo Star," Cinema Journal 42, No. 1, Winter 2002: 97-119. (link)
- "Our Man Godfrey: Arthur Godfrey and the Selling of Stardom in Early Television," Television & New Media, August 2001: 187-203.
- Origins of Modern Media: 1880-1950
- Media Analysis
- Social Experiences in Consumer Culture
- Television: History and Form
- Reality and Documentary Television
- The Sitcom
- Amateur Media
- Cultural History of Television
- Methods in Interpreting Popular Culture
- Special Topics in Visual Culture: Fundamentals of the Moving Image Historiography and Media
- Historiography and Media