Join our email list today to help you decide if one of our music technology programs is right for you.
Music Technology at NYU Steinhardt is a leading and internationally recognized undergraduate and graduate program in music, sound, and audio technology. Students prepare for successful careers in sound engineering, computer music, audio-visual production and post-production, mastering, scoring for film and multimedia, audio for games, software development, and multimedia production.
- Study with premier faculty in New York City - heart of the nation's new media and music industries - and join an active community of scholars, artists, and engineers exploring the cutting edge of technology and music.
- Have access to state-of-the-art facilities including the new James L. Dolan Music Recording Studio, a 7,500 square foot multifunctional teaching, recording, and research space designed by Gensler and the Walters-Storyk Design Group. One of the most technologically advanced audio teaching facilities in the United States, the new studio greatly enhances the existing 10 studios which house the Music Technology program.
- Intern at major recording studios, new-media web-related companies, music-scoring houses, and other music industry enterprises.
- B.M. in Music Technology - gain a solid foundation in the liberal arts as well as all areas of music technology, with the flexibility to obtain specialized expertise in the area of music and audio technology of greatest interest to you
- M.M. in Music Technology - choose a variety of tracks of study, including: (1) Scoring for Film and Multimedia, which allows you to gain knowledge and experience in all matters pertaining to music composition for film, television, and other media; (2) the Tonmeister Honors Track, which instructs you in the area of concert recording techniques, and also provides opportunities to record rehearsals and recitals and to learn microphone technique, acoustics, and other important areas pertinent to this field; (3) Acoustics and Signal Processing, which focuses your studies on music information retrieval, digital signal processing, interactive music systems, and 3D audio; (4) Game Audio, which focuses on the process and techniques used in the design of Games, including sound design, data mining, programming the game engine, business of gaming, and sound delivery to the player; and (5) General, which allows you to customize the curriculum to fit your own particular interests.
- Ph.D. in Music Technology - prepare for careers in university teaching, industry research and development, as well as in multimedia, audio computation, and other research fields at the constantly changing intersection of music and technology. This program is offered in collaboration with NYU's Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences.
Special Opportunities - Study Abroad and Summer Courses
Undergraduates can study abroad at the NYU campus in Prague, which offers a full music curriculum. Undergraduates may also spend a semester at one of NYU's study abroad centers in London, Paris, Florence, Madrid, Shanghai, Tel Aviv, Abu Dhabi, Prague, and Buenos Aires.
The Summer Institute of Music Technology is a two-week workshop in July designed for high school students who wish to learn about and experience music technology. Through class lectures, labs, and individualized studio time, students will learn the fundamentals of music technology.
Applications are due by October 1 (M.M. for Spring semester matriculation), November 1 (B.M. - Early Decision I, freshmen), December 1 (Ph.D.), January 1 (B.M. - Early Decision II - freshmen and Regular Decision - freshmen), January 6 (M.M. for Fall semester matriculation), and April 1 (B.M. - transfers).
Take the Next Step
Join the mailing list to learn more.
Music Technology Program Director - Dr. Kenneth Peacock