You DO NOT have to submit English language exam Score (TOEFL,IELTS, PTE academic) if:
- Your native language is English
- You received a four year U.S. undergraduate or graduate degree
- You received the equivalent of a four year college education from a non-U.S. school where English is the sole language of instruction
NYU Steinhardt requires official scores from one of the following English language exams to be received in the Office of Graduate Admissions by the application deadline.
- Test of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TOEFL), scores are valid for two years from the date taken. Successful candidates typically score a 100 on the Internet based exam or 600 on the paper based exam. Send official scores from ETS to NYU Steinhardt using institution code 2556. A department code is not required.Please ensure 2556 is listed as your "Designated Score Recipient"
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Official scores are valid for two years from the date taken. Successful candidates typically achieve a band score of 7. Send official scores from IELTS to NYU Steinhardt by selecting New York University, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development as a score recipient.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic). Official scores are valid for two years from the date taken. Successful candidates typically score a 68 to 70. Send official scores from PTE Academic to NYU Steinhardt by selecting New York University, NYU Steinhardt-Graduate Admissions as a score recipient.
Applicants whose native language is not English and who did not receive the equivalent of a four-year US undergraduate education from an institution where English is the sole and official language of instruction are required to submit official exam scores from one of the exams. There is no preference as to which exam you take.
Applicants holding or completing a graduate degree from an English-speaking institution are still required to submit official exam scores if their graduate education was fewer than four years in duration.
This English proficiency exam requirement cannot be waived. If your scores have expired before you apply, you must retake the exam.
Although we have indicated benchmark scores above, we do not use minimums or cut offs. All components of your application are reviewed together as a whole. If you submit scores from more than one of the exams all of your scores will be available to the Admissions Committee, however, Committees typically consider your highest score.
The Admissions Committee reserves the right to require any candidate, regardless of country of citizenship, to submit results from an English language exam prior to rendering a decision if they believe proficiency in English is an area of concern.
If you are required to submit the results of an English language exam you must submit your results in two formats:
1. An official score report must be sent to Graduate Admissions from the testing agency.
2. A copy of your score report must be uploaded into the online application. Since this is an unofficial report for informational purposes only, web printouts or screenshots can be uploaded, as long as we can read the scores and your name.
Candidates may be further evaluated before an admission offer through a second-level review of English proficiency regardless of score received on the above exams. Read more about requirements for proficiency in English.
If your program of interest requires GRE scores as part of your application, your official scores must be on file by the deadline before a decision can be made. GRE scores are only valid for five years. If your scores are older than five years, you must take the test again.
If the GRE is required for your program, you must submit your scores in two formats:
- An official GRE score report must be sent electronically to NYU Steinhardt from ETS (the Educational Testing Service). NYU Steinhardt's ETS institution code is 2556; a departmental code is not required. Please ensure 2556 is listed as your "Designated Score Recipient" Visit the GRE website for more information about the exam.
- A copy of your GRE score report must be uploaded into the online application in the GRE Upload section. A web printout or screenshot is acceptable.
Your official MAT scores must be on file by the application deadline before your application can be reviewed. MAT scores are valid for 5 years. If your test scores are older than 5 years, you need to take the test again.
If you are submitting a MAT score for your program, you must do so in two formats:
- An official MAT score report must be sent to NYU Steinhardt from Pearson Assessment Miller Analogies. NYU Steinhardt's MAT Recipient/Institution code is 3160. Visit the MAT website for more information about the exam.
- A copy of your official (not your preliminary) MAT score report must be uploaded into the online application in the "MAT Upload" section.