Graduate Application Guide

Music Education: BM Music/MA Music Education - Dual Degree: For current NYU Steinhardt students ONLY (MUSD-MA)

Open to students already enrolled in the NYU Steinhardt undergraduate programs in music composition and instrumental, piano, and vocal performance, this dual degree allows you to earn a bachelor of music in composition or performance and a master of arts in music education in five years. Undergraduates take courses towards their graduate degree in their junior and senior years and complete the MA in one additional year of study.

Graduates of this dual-degree program are eligible for New York State initial certification as a teacher of music, grades K-12. During your course of study, you must complete fieldwork and supervised student teaching placements at New York City schools.  

The following dual-degree programs are available:

  • BM Instrumental Performance/MA Music Education 
  • BM Music Composition/MA Music Education
  • BM Piano Performance/MA Music Education 
  • BM Vocal Performance/MA Music Education

Academic Plan Code: MUSD

Degrees: BM and MA

Academic Load: Full-time or part-time. Students have up to six years to complete the program.

Application Deadlines
Spring: N/A
Summer: N/A
Fall: Submit an application during your sophomore year. 

Program Information
Website | 212-998-5427

Admissions Requirements

Before applying for the dual degree program, please make an appointment with Professor Ira Shankman to review the five-year program of study and to discuss your interests and professional goals in music and music education. Completing the dual-degree curriculum within five years requires both commitment and careful planning. This conversation will help you make an informed decision about preparing to become a music teacher and whether to apply for this dual degree program. Please bring a copy of your current NYU transcript (it can be an unofficial copy) to this meeting.

We review all applications individually and holistically, but our expectation is that successful candidates for admission to any NYU Steinhardt MA program in teacher education will have a minimum 3.0 undergraduate grade point average.

For more information on applying, please see the BM Music/MA Music Education program website.

How to Apply

These instructions and requirements are for all applicants. If you are not a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States, please read the special instructions for international applicants.

NYU composition and performance undergraduates seeking to enroll in the this dual-degree program must complete an online application. This application must be submitted during your sophomore year. The dual degree begins in the junior year.

After your application has been completed and submitted, the music education faculty will schedule you for an interview in March.

1. Prepare Your Application

Your application will require the following items. The following are acceptable document types for uploads: .pdf, .jpeg, .jpg, .gif, .tiff, .png, .doc, .docx, and bitmap.


You are required to upload a copy of your most recent résumé or curriculum vitae as part of your application. 


Please attach a 500-1000-word essay that explains your interest in the BM Music/MA Music Education dual-degree program.

Academic Writing Sample

Please attach a paper or essay from a previous class.


New York State requires that candidates for teacher education and educational leadership programs leading to certification submit standardized test scores as part of the application process.

Applicants to this program must submit official scores from the GRE or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) by the application deadline.

As with all materials you submit, your GRE or MAT test scores will be viewed in a holistic light, and will not outweigh other indicators of your academic and personal qualifications to be a teacher or school leader. See how to submit scores for the GRE and the MAT

Proficiency in English


2. Apply


When you have prepared the above materials, please apply here.


3. Receive Your Admission Decision

The faculty will inform you of their decision concerning your application via email by late March so that you may register for fall classes in a timely manner.

Once you are accepted, you will submit a "change of program form." This form will allow you to transfer to the new dual degree program. 

By March 1 of your senior year you and your advisor must submit a Dual Degree Declaration Form to the Office of Graduate Admissions. This will prompt Graduate Admissions to create your graduate student record.

Please note that financial aid at the graduate level is different than at the undergraduate level and you will not receive the same aid. In fact, some types of aid available to undergraduate students are not available once you become a graduate student. To be considered for any type of financial aid (including scholarships), you must submit a FAFSA renewal between January 1 and February 1 of your senior year.