Nearly half of all Steinhardt undergraduates study abroad at one of NYU's global academic centers for at least one full semester. Some complete a full year or more abroad, often at two different locations.
Steinhardt undergraduates can fulfill many of their CORE course requirements abroad through approved course equivalencies.
Below are the academic study abroad pathways connected to undergraduate majors in Steinhardt. These pathways assist students in staying on schedule within their major, while still being able to take advantage of the opportunity to study abroad.
- The Department of Applied Psychology offers a required course, Survey of Developmental Psychology, in Buenos Aires, and will soon offer courses in Sydney. For students taking a combined major in Applied Psychology and Global Public Health, major courses are offered at many sites abroad.
- The Department of Art and Art Professions has an art program in Berlin, where students can take advanced studio art and critical studies courses to move forward in their major while living in the European capital of contemporary art. The global visual art minor combines coursework from NYU's founding campus and its global academic centers.
- The Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders sends students to several sites where they take core liberal arts courses. We are developing major-specific study abroad options in London.
- The Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions offers undergraduates the opportunity to engage in specialized music training in symphonic and ensemble music performance, opera, theatre, jazz, composition, film scoring, music business, and music technology in Prague and Paris.
- Most undergraduate students in the Department of Media, Culture, and Communication spend one semester abroad, and a significant number spend two semesters abroad. First-year students are welcome to apply to the Global Media Scholars Program, which combines coursework with study abroad experiences related to the globalization of media and culture. The program consists of two semesters in Paris, Prague, Buenos Aires, or Shanghai and a special senior seminar during January of senior year. For students taking a combined major in MCC and Global Public Health, major courses are offered at many sites abroad.
- Undergraduate students in the Department of Nutrition and Food Studies can take study at many sites abroad, and can take major courses in Accra. For students taking a combined major in Nutrition and Global Public Health, major courses are offered at many sites abroad, including London and Buenos Aires.
- Students in the Department of Teaching and Learning can complete required courses in Human Development and stay on track with their degree while studying for a semester in London or Accra. The courses include special in-school observation practica in local British or Ghanaian schools.