If I don't have a music degree can I still apply?

Yes you will have to take remedial music courses while you pursue your master's degree. You will need to take a placement exam before classes start: http://theory.smusic.nyu.edu/placement/ Depending on the exam results, you may have to take up to 8 credits of remediation in addition to the credits for the master's degree.