Associate Professor, Occupational Therapy; Adjunct Associate Professor, NYU College of Dentistry
Phone: (212) 998-5825
- Occupational Therapy
- Occupational Therapy: Professional Program (Entry Level)
- Occupational Therapy: Post-Professional Programs (Advanced)
Dr. Bear-Lehman's teaching and areas of scholarship are in orthopedics, upper limb rehabilitation, work reentry, and gerontology. She was on faculty at Columbia University before joining NYUSteinhardt in 2004 and held academic positions earlier in her career at the University of Toronto and the University of Illinois-Chicago. She has over 60 publications in refereed journals and textbooks. Dr. Bear-Lehman is a NIH and NIA funded researcher for performance based measures with a focus on the hand spanning different populations and outcome studies in community and clinical based models. She served the NYU OT Department as its chair (2007-2013) and program director of doctoral studies (2006-7).
Watch video now : Jane Bear-Lehman discusses how research in occupational therapy informs clinical practice.
Read more news/features on Jane Bear-Lehman:
New York University
University of Illinois-Chicago
University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2013 : CTSI from the National Center for the Advancement of Translational Science (NCATS),NIH as a Principal Investigator
- 2010 : President's Invited Lecturer, American Society of Hand Therapists Annual Meeting
- 2006 : Awarded Tenure, New York University
- 2004 : Adjunct Research Scientist, Columbia University
- 2004 : NIH/NIA RO1 as a co-investigator
- 1999 : 1997: 1995: Merit of Practice Award, New York State Occupational Therapy Association
- 1998 : Nominated member in Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education
- 1994 : Roster of Fellows, American Occupational Therapy Association
- Bear-Lehman, J. and Duff, S. (Guest editors). “Strategies to address neurological conditions affecting the hand”, Journal of Hand Therapy, special issue, April/June, 2013.
- Bear-Lehman, J., Chippendale, T., & Albert, S.M (in press-2013). Approaches to Screening and Assessment in Geriatrics. In K. Barney and M. Perkinson (Eds), Geriatric Occupational Therapy, Supporting Meaningful Living through Collaborative Practice (Chapter 9.)
- Chippendale, T., & Bear-Lehman, J. (2012). Effect of life review writing on depressive symptoms in older adults: A randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 66, 438-446. Doi: 10.5014/ajot.2012.004291
- Bear-Lehman, J., (2012). The Issue Is—Comparison of the occupational therapy research agenda with the national institutes of health roadmap for medical research. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 66, 1-4, doi: 10.5014/ajot.2012.002840
- Barr, A. & Bear-Lehman, J. (2012). Biomechanics of the wrist and hand. In M. Nordin & V. Frankel (Eds.), Basic biomechanics of the musculoskeletal system (4th ed., pp. 364-394). Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Albert, S. M., Bear-Lehman, J., Burkhardt, A. (2011). Mild depressive symptoms, self-reported disability, and slowing across multiple functional domains. International Psychogeriatrics,1-8. Doi: 10.1017/S1041610211001499
- Bear-Lehman, J. (2011). The NIH roadmap: An opportunity for occupational therapy. OTJR: Occupation, Participation, and Health, 31, 3, 1-2. Doi: 10.3928/15394492-20110428-01
- Bear-Lehman, J., & Poole, S. E. (2011). The presence and impact of stress reactions on disability among patients with arm injury. Journal of Hand Therapy, 24, 2, 89-94.
- Chippendale, T., & Bear-Lehman, J. (2011). The Issue Is—Falls, older adults, and the impact of the neighborhood environment. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65, 1–6. doi: 10.5014/ajot.2011.000729
- Weinstock-Zlotnick, G., Bear-Lehman, J., Yu, T.Y. (2011). A test case: Does the availability of visual feedback impact grip strength scores when using a digital dynamometer? Journal of Hand Therapy, 24, (3), 266-75.
- Bear-Lehman, J. (2011). 2010 President’s invited lecture: A vision for clinical research—from the clinic to the community. Journal of Hand Therapy, 24, 73-77.
- Chippendale, T. & Bear-Lehman, J. (2010). Enabling “aging in place” for urban dwelling seniors: An adaptive or remedial approach. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 28, (1), 57-62.
- Reistetter, T., Abreu, B. C., Bear-Lehman, J., & Ottenbacher, K. J. (2009). Unilateral and bilateral upper extremity weight-bearing effect on upper extremity impairment and functional performance after brain injury. Occupational Therapy International. 16, (3-4), 218-231.
- Albert, S. M., Bear-Lehman, J., & Burkhardt, A. (2009). Lifestyle adjusted function: Variation beyond BADL and IADL competencies. The Gerontologist: The Gerontologist Advance Access, 10.1093/geront/gnp064. Retrieved from http://gerontologist.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/gnp064v1.
- Maher, C. & Bear-Lehman, J. (2008). Orthopaedic conditions. In C. A. Trombly Latham, & M. V. Radomski (Eds.), Occupational therapy for physical dysfunction (6th Ed., pp. 1106-1130). Baltimore: Wolters Kluwer Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Spencer, S. M., Albert, S. M., Bear-Lehman, J., & Burkhardt, A. (2008). Relevance of race and ethnicity for self-reported functional limitation. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 56, 553-557.
- Weinstock-Zlotnick, G., Bear-Lehman, J., Burdo, M., Eisenberg, J., Vasquez, L., Yu, Z. Y. (2008). Grip strength testing: Does visual feedback impact scores? Journal of Hand Therapy. 21(4), 422-423.
- Bohannon, R. W., Bear-Lehman, J., Desrosiers, J., & Massey-Westropp, N. (2007). Average grip strength: A meta-analysis of data obtained with a Jamar Dynamometer from individuals 75 years or more of age. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, 30, 28-30.
- Bear-Lehman, J. (2007). Functional evaluation of the wrist and hand. In M. Nordin, G. Andersson, & M. Pope (Eds.), Musculoskeletal disorders in the workplace: Prevention of disability (2nd ed., pp. 227-236). Philadelphia: Elsevier.
- Albert, S. M., Bear-Lehman, J., & Burkhardt, A. (2006). Disparities between ambient, standard lighting, and retinal acuities in community dwelling older people: Implications for disability. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 54, 1713-1718.
- Bear-Lehman, J., Albert, S. M., & Burkhardt, A. (2006). Cutaneous sensitivity and functional limitation. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 22 (1), 61-69.
- Albert, S. M., Bear-Lehman, J., Burkhardt, A., Merete-Roa, B., & Noboa-Lemonier, R. (2006). Variation in sources of clinician- and self-rated IADL disability. Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 61A, 826-831.
- Bohannon, R. W., Peolsson, A., Massey-Westropp, N., Desrosiers, J., & Bear-Lehman, J. (2006). Reference values for adult grip strength measured with a Jamar Dynamometer: A descriptive meta-analysis. Physiotherapy, 92, 11-15.
- Bear-Lehman, J. & Miller, P. (2006). Occupational therapy. The Merck manual of geriatrics - http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmg/sec3/ch30/ch30a.jsp (4th ed.), West Point, PA: Merck.
- Ramos, E. M., James, C. A., & Bear-Lehman, J. (2005). Children’s computer usage: Are they at risk of developing repetitive strain injury? Work, 24, 1-12.
- Breger Stanton, D., Bear-Lehman, J., Graziano, M., & Ryan, C. (2003). Contrast baths: What do we know about their use? Journal of Hand Therapy, 16, 343-346.
- Falk-Kessler, J. & Bear-Lehman, J. (2003). Hand function in persons with chronic mental illness: A practice concern. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 19, 61-67.
- Bear-Lehman, J., Miller, P., Adler, M., Buononcore, J., Coles, N., Kneafsey, B., Katz-Sillman, F., & Sherman-Amsel, H. (2003). An exploration of hand strength and sensation in community elders. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 19, 127-136.
- Bear-Lehman, J., Kafko, M., Mah, L., Mosquera, L., & Reilly, B. (2002). An exploratory look at hand strength and hand size among preschoolers. Journal of Hand Therapy, 15, 340-346.
- Bear-Lehman, J. (2002). A word about qualitative research. Journal of Hand Therapy, 15, 85-86.
- Bear-Lehman, J. (2002). Orthopaedic conditions. In C. A. Trombly, & M. Radomski (Eds.), Occupational therapy for physical dysfunction (5th ed., pp. 909-925). Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Bear-Lehman, J., Bassile, C., & Gillen, G. (2001). A comparison of time use on an acute rehabilitation unit: Subjects with and without a stroke. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Geriatrics, 20, 17-27.
- OT-GE 2725 - Occupational Therapy Research
- OT-GE 2724 - Occupational Therapy Research: Project Design
- OT-GE 3408 - Doctoral Colloquium
- OT-GE 2025 - Research Methods for OT
- 2012-Present: Open Journal of Occupational Therapy (OJOT), Editorial Board Member
- 2011-Present: NIDRR Field Initiated Projects (FIP), Grant Review Panel
- 2004: Medical Advisory Board for the Fifth Edition of The Medical Disability Advisor: Workplace Guidelines for Disability Duration, Editorial Board Member
- 2003-Present: Occupational Therapy International, Editorial Board Member
- 2002-2009: OTJR: Occupation, Participation, and Health, Editorial Board Member
- 1997-Present: Journal of Hand Therapy, Editorial Board Member
Upper limb assessment and intervention with a focus on the hand