Associate Professor of Applied Psychology
Phone: (212) 998-5222
- Applied Psychology
- Counseling Psychology
- Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness
- Counseling and Guidance: School and Bilingual School Counseling
Dr. Ali is an Associate Professor in the Department of Applied Psychology at New York University. Her research focuses on the mental health effects of oppression including violence, racism and discrimination. She has examined depression and its psychosocial correlates across a range of disadvantaged populations including domestic violence survivors, clients in poverty transition programs, psychiatric outpatient samples, and immigrant/refugee women. Her current projects are investigating empowerment-based programs in domestic violence shelters and low-income high schools. She is the co-editor (with Dana Crowley Jack) of Silencing the Self Across Cultures: Depression and Gender in the Social World published by Oxford University Press.
- Ali, A. & Toner, B.B. (1996). Gender differences in depressive response: The role of social support. Sex Roles: A Journal of Research, 35, (6), 281-293.
- Belitsky, C., Toner, B.B., Ali, A., Yu, B., Osborne, S.L. & deRooy, E. (1996). Sex-role attitudes and clinical appraisal in psychiatry residents. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 41, 503-508.
- Ali, A., Richardson, D.C. & Toner, B.B.(1998). Feminine gender role and illness behaviour in irritable bowel syndrome. Journal of Gender, Culture and Health, 3(1), 59-65.
- Toner, B.B., Segal, Z.V., Emmott, S.D., Myran, D., Ali, A., DiGasbarro, I., & Stuckless, N. (1998). Cognitive behaviour group therapy for patients with irritable bowel syndrome. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 48(2), 215-243.
- Toner, B.B., Stuckless, N., Ali, A., Downie, F., Emmott, S. & Akman, D. (1998). Development of a cognitive scale for functional bowel disorders. Psychosomatic Medicine, 60, 492-497.
- Tang, T.N., Toner, B.B., Dion, K.L., Kaplan, A., Stuckless, N. & Ali, A. (1998). Features of eating disorders in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 45(2), 171-178.
- Pinhas, l., Toner, B.B., Ali, A., Garfinkel, P.E., & Stuckless, N. (1999). The effects of the ideal of female beauty on mood and body satisfaction. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 25(2), 223-226.
- Ali, A., Oatley, K., & Toner, B.B. (1999). Emotional abuse as a precipitating factor for depression in women. Journal of Emotional Abuse, 1(4), 1-13.
- Ali, A., Toner, B.B., Stuckless, N., Gallop, R. Diamant, N.E., Gould, M.I., & Vidins, E.I. (2000). Emotional abuse, self-blame and self-silencing in women with irritable bowel syndrome. Psychosomatic Medicine, 62(1), 76-82.
- Ali, A. & Toner, B.B. (2001). Self-esteem as a predictor of attitudes toward wife abuse among Muslim women and men. Journal of Social Psychology, 141(1), 1-8.
- Ali, A. (2001). Medical psychology in Canada. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 8(1), 15-20.
- Ali, A. & Toner, B.B. (2001). Symptoms of depression among Caribbean women and Caribbean-Canadian women: An investigation of self-silencing and domains of meaning. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 25, 175-180.
- Akman, D.E., Toner, B.B., Stuckless, N., Ali, A., Emmott, S.D. & Downie, F.P. (2001). Feminist issues in research methodology: The development of a cognitive scale. Feminism and Psychology: An International Journal, 11(2), 209-228.
- Ali, A, & Toner, B.B. (2001). Emotional abuse in women. In The Encyclopedia of Women and Gender. J. Worell, Editor. New York: American Psychological Association and Academic Press.
- Ali, A. (2002). The convergence of Foucault and feminist psychiatry: Exploring emancipatory knowledge-building. Journal of Gender Studies, 11(2), 233-242.
- Ali, A., Oatley, K., & Toner, B.B. (2002). Life stress, self-silencing and domains of meaning in unipolar depression: An investigation of an outpatient sample of women. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 21(6), 669-685.
- Ross, E., Ali, A., & Toner, B.B. (2003). Investigating issues surrounding depression in adolescent girls across Ontario: A participatory action research project. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, 22(1), 55-68.
- Ali, A. (2004). The intersection of racism and sexism in psychiatric diagnosis. In Bias in Psychiatric Diagnosis. P. Caplan & L. Cosgrove, Eds. New York: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Ali, A. & Toner, B.B. (2005). A cross-cultural investigation of emotional abuse among Caribbean women and Caribbean-Canadian women. Journal of Emotional Abuse, 5(1), 125-140.
- Ali, A. (2006). Identity as contested space. Feminism and Psychology, 16, 345-349.
- Ali, A. (2006). A framework for emancipatory inquiry in psychology: Lessons from feminist methodology. Race, Gender, and Class, 13, 1-14.
- Ali, A. (2007). Where is the voice of feminism in research on emotional abuse? Journal of Gender Studies, 16, 73-77.
- Ali, A. (2008). Examining the effects of racism on the emotional well-being on Caribbean immigrant women: An integration of feminist and phenomenological approaches. In Benefiting by Design: Women of Color in Feminist Psychological Research and Practice. (C. Raghavan, A. Edwards, & K. Vaz, Eds.). Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Jack, D.C. & Ali, A. (2010). Silencing the Self Across Cultures: Depression and Gender in the Social World. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Ali, A. (2010). Exploring the immigrant experience through self-silencing theory and the full frame approach. In Silencing the Self Across Cultures: Depression and Gender in the Social World (D. C. Jack & A. Ali, Eds.). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Jack, D. C. & Ali, A. (2010). Culture, self-silencing and depression: A contextual-relational perspective. In Silencing the Self Across Cultures: Depression and Gender in the Social World (D. C. Jack & A. Ali, Eds.). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Ali, A., Caplan, P. J., & Fagnant, R. (2010). Gender stereotypes in diagnostic criteria. In Handbook of Gender Research in Psychology. J. Chrisler & D. McCreary, Eds. New York: Springer Publishing.
- Ali, A., & McFarlane, E. (2011). Depression among Caribbean women. In Women and Mental Disorders. M. Paludi, Ed. New York: Praeger.
- Toner, B.B., Ali., A., Tang, T., Akman, D., Stuckless, N., Esplen, M. J., Rolin-Gilman, C., & Ross, L. (in press). Developing a gender role socialization scale. In Design and Research in Gender. J. L. Oliffe & L. J. Greaves, Eds. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Jack, D.C., Ali., A., & Dias, S. (in press). Depression. Handbook of Multicultural Psychology.F. Leong, Ed. Washington: American Psychological Association Press
- Ali, A., Mowry, R., & Ho, K. (in press). Collective action and emancipatory aims: Applying principles of feminist practice in a shelter for domestic violence survivors with disabilities. Barbara Fiduccia Papers on Women with Disabilities.
- Ali, A., Hawkins, R., & Chambers, D. (2010). Recovery from depression among clients transitioning out of poverty. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 80(1), 26-33.
- Ali, A., McFarlane, E., Hawkins, R., & Udo-Inyang, I. (2011). Social justice revisited: Psychological recolonization and the challenge of anti-oppression advocacy. Race, Gender, and Class, 19.
- Ali, A., McFarlane, E., Lees, K., & Srivastava (2012). Who is a patriot? Psychological recolonization and the proliferation of U.S. nationalism. Race, Gender, and Class, 20 (1-2).
- Ali., A. & Lees, K. (2013). The therapist as advocate: Anti-oppression advocacy in psychological practice. The Journal of Clinical Psychology, 69(2), 160-169.
- Sex Roles, Consulting Editor
- Journal of Emotional Abuse, Editorial Board Member
- Psychology of Women Quarterly, Editorial Board Member
- 1998 : Eli Lilly Canada Fellow Award
- 1999 : Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- 2000 : Canadian Race Relations Foundation
- 2000 : Lundbeck Canada Fellow Award
- 2002 : Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- 2003 : Liberty Foundation
- 2004 : National Institute of Mental Health
- 2009 : The Allstate Foundation
- 2009 : American Psychological Foundation
- 2010 : Loeb-Thirdpoint Foundation
- 2011 : Social Innovation Pathways Fund
- 2011 : New York Community Trust
- 2011 : The Helmsley Trust
- 2012 : Jack Kent Cooke Foundation
- 2012 : Robin Hood Foundation
- 2012 : American Psychological Association Division 52 Book Award
- 2013 : Fordham Street Foundation