Tara McAllister Byun
Tara McAllister Byun is a linguist and speech-language pathologist who studies speech development in children with and without phonological delay or disorder. Her research aims to explain how children’s articulatory and perceptual limitations shape their early phonological development, and why some children's speech sound errors do not resolve over the course of maturation or in response to conventional forms of treatment. She has an active program of clinical research investigating the efficacy of intervention that uses technologies (e.g. ultrasound, acoustic analysis) to provide visual biofeedback for persistent speech sound errors in children.
McAllister Byun has published in journals such as Phonology, the Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, the Journal of Communication Disorders, and the Journal of Child Language. Her research on technologically advanced interventions for speech sound disorders is supported by a grant from the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (R03DC012883). McAllister Byun earned an A.B./A.M. in linguistics from Harvard University, an M.S. in communication disorders from Boston University, and a Ph.D. in linguistics from MIT.
- A.B. 2003 Harvard University, Linguistics
- A.M. 2003 Harvard University, Linguistics
- M.S. 2007 Boston University, Speech and Hearing Sciences
- Ph.D. 2009 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Linguistics
Grants and Awards
- 2013-2016. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (R03DC012883). Understanding and eliminating residual speech errors with acoustic biofeedback. PI.
- 2015-2020. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders Translational R01. (R01DC013668). Improving clinical speech remediation with ultrasound technology. PI of NYU subcontract.
- 2014-2015. NYU Research Challenge Fund. Interactive smartphone-delivered intervention for speech sound disorders in children. PI. Co-PIs: Tae Hong Park, NYU Steinhardt; Mario Svirsky, NYU Langone.
- 2014-2015. Steinhardt Technology Award. Enhancing speech intervention with smartphone-delivered biofeedback. PI. Co-PIs: Tae Hong Park, NYU Steinhardt; Mario Svirsky, NYU Langone.
- 2013-2014. Steinhardt Innovative, Development, Exploratory Awards (IDEA) Grant. Covert contrast in child phonology: Ultrasound imaging investigation of velar fronting. Co-PI; joint work with Adam Buchwald, NYU Steinhardt.
- 2010. ASHFoundation Research Grant for New Investigators. Traditional versus biofeedback intervention for /r/ misarticulation. PI.
- McAllister Byun, T. (To appear.) Perceptual discrimination across contexts and contrasts in preschool-aged children. Forthcoming in Lingua.
- McAllister Byun, T., Halpin, P. F., & Szeredi, D. (2015). Online crowdsourcing for efficient rating of speech: A validation study. Journal of Communication Disorders, 53, 70-83.
- McAllister Byun, T., Hitchcock, E. R., & Swartz, M. T. (2014). Retroflex versus bunched in treatment for /r/ misarticulation: Evidence from ultrasound biofeedback intervention. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 57(6), 2116-2130.
- Hitchcock, E. R., & McAllister Byun, T. (2014). Enhancing generalization in biofeedback intervention using the challenge point framework: A case study. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics. Early online, 1-17.
- Klein, H., McAllister Byun, T., Davidson, L., & Grigos, M. (2013). A multidimensional investigation of children’s /r/ productions: Perceptual, ultrasound, and acoustic measures. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 22, 540-553.
- McAllister Byun, T., & Hitchcock, E. (2012). Investigating the use of traditional and spectral biofeedback approaches to intervention for /r/ misarticulation. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 21, 207-221.
- Klein, H., Grigos, M., McAllister Byun, T., & Davidson, L. (2012). The relationship between listeners’ perceptions and acoustic correlates of children’s /r/ productions. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 26, 628-645.
- McAllister Byun, T. (2012). Bidirectional perception-production relations in phonological development: evidence from positional neutralization. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 26(5), 397-413.
- McAllister Byun, T. (2012). Positional velar fronting: An updated articulatory account. Journal of Child Language, 39(5), 1043-1076.
- McAllister Byun, T. (2011). A gestural account of a child-specific neutralisation in strong position. Phonology, 28(3), 371-412.
- McAllister, T., Bachrach, A., Waters, G., Michaud, J., & Caplan, D. (2009). Production and comprehension of unaccusatives in aphasia. Aphasiology, 23(7), 989-1004.
- Science of Language (CSCD-UE 1045)
- Critical Evaluation of Research (CSCD-GE 2109)
- Speech Science: Instrumentation (CSCD-GE 2125)