Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth
Associate Professor of English Education
Phone: (212) 998-5195
Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth, Ph.D. is director of Doctoral and Post MA Programs in Multilingual, Multicultural Studies: TESOL & Bilingual Education. An English-dominant speaker from a Yiddish speaking home in Brooklyn, NY, her language background also includes Spanish, French, and Hebrew. She has worked with second language learners from K-adult in the Metropolitan area, has mentored second language teachers and researchers, and has held various leadership positions on a local and national level. She is currently research editor of the journal Writing and Pedagogy and co-chair of The National Association for Bilingual Education Research SIG. Many of her research interests center on crosscultural communication, with language as a mediator of individual and group perceptions and values.
- PhD CUNY Graduate Center 1979, Linguistics
- MA Columbia University Teachers College 1971, TESOL
- BA Brooklyn College 1968, Early Childhood Education and Modern Language Education:French
Grants and Awards
- 2012: Outstanding Teacher of the Year, New York State TESOL
- 2011: NABE Award for Work on Research SIG 2010-2011
- 2005: Nessa Wolfson Distinguished Scholar
- 2001: Teaching Excellence Award. Steinhardt School of Education
- 1998: NYS TESOL Service Award for work to preserve ESL Teacher Certification in NY State.
- Second language acquisition
- language variation
- interlanguage pragmatics
- crosscultural communication
- second language grammar development
- TELL(technology enhanced language learning)
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2011). Language variation from a bilingual perspective. Perspectives. 34:1, 17-20.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M., Gottlieb, J., Gottlieb, B., Goldstein, M. and Bennett, J. 2011. U.S. mainland-born and non-mainland-born children referred for special education. Journal of Multilingual Education Research, 2, 37-55.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. and Ebsworth, T. (2011). Teaching and Learning English in Puerto Rico: An approach-avoidance conflict? In Fishman, J. and Garcia, O. (Eds) . (pp. 96-112). Language Handbook, Volume II: The Language Continuum . New York: Oxford University Press.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. and Kodama, N. (2011).The pragmatics of refusals in English and Japanese: Alternative approaches to negotiation. International Journal of the Sociology of Language. 208, 95-117.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2011). Guest Editor. International Journal of the Sociology of Language: Affective Aspects of Second and Foreign Languages.
- Eisenstein J., Ebsworth, M., and Vaidhyanathan, V. (2011). Obama on Education -- A-Plus Values, F-Minus Policies. Huffington Post. January 12, 2011. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-weigant/guest-column-obama-on-edu_b_808350.html
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M., Kim, A. and Klein, T. (2010). Projections: From a graduate TELL class to the practical world of L2 teachers. Calico Journal, 27:2
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2010). Speech Communities: Language as a mediator of messages and perceptions. In Language in the Real World. S. Behrens & J. Parker. Routledge. Web-based associated materials available.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. and Ruiz, P. (2009). Ideals and Reality: A Self-contained Class for Bilingual Autistic Children. Educação-Thematic Issue, Multiculturalism and Education. 32:1, 16-24
- Verdi, G. and Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2009). Working-Class Women Academics: Four Sociolinguistic Journeys. Journal of Multicultural Discourses. 4:2, 183-204.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2009). True progress is bilingualism for all: A response to Porter. Puerto Rico TESOLGram 35:3, 24-26.
- Camhi, P. and Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2008). Merging a Metalinguistic Grammar Approach with L2 Academic Process Writing: ELLs in Community College. TESL-EJ, 12:2.
- Duffy, P., and Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2007). "Action Through Words" Website for online course teaching English language through content, based on the workings of the United Nations. http://www.unepd.info.
- Review: Eisenstein Ebsworth, M.(2005). G. Melchers and P. Shaw. World Englishes: An introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003. Language Policy 4:4, 425-429
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M., Feknous, B, Loyette, D, and Zimmerman, S. (2004). Tape it Yourself . ELT Journal. 58:2, 145-154.
- Comments on Bilingualism and Schooling in the United States. (2002). International Journal of the Sociology of Language. 155/156 101-114
- Review: "LaRC, The Language and Reading Companion." Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. & McDonell, T. 2001. Calico Journal
- Ebsworth, M & Ebsworth, T. (2001) Return Migrants to Puerto Rico: An Unappreciated Asset.;Puerto Rico TESOL Newsletter. Fall, Issue.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. (2001) Review: Bilingual Education and Social Change. Rebecca Freeman. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters. 1998. in Language and Education.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. & Ebsworth, T. (2000). The Pragmatics and Perceptions of Multicultural Puerto Ricans. The International Journal of the Sociology of Language 142 119-155.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. & Ebsworth, T. (2000). Perceptions and Pragmatics of Multicultural Puerto Ricans. International Journal of the Sociology of Language. 142, 119-155.
- Eisenstein Ebsworth, M. Bodman, J. and Carpenter. M. (1995). Cross-cultural Realization of Greetings in American English. In Susan Gass and Joyce Neu, editors. Speech Acts Across Cultures: Challenges to Communication in a Second Language. New York: Mouton de Gruyter.
- Ebsworth, T. & Eisenstein, M. (1993). Sensitizing Learners to Sociocultural Aspects of L2: A Critical Incident Activity. Idiom Vol.23:2, 1,6.
- LANED-GE 2206 - Second Language Research
- LANED-GE 2039 - Advanced Projects in Multilingual Multicultural Studies
- LANED-GE 3005,8 - Doctoral Seminars in Multilingual Multicultural Studies
- LANED-GE 2800 Advanced Research Seminar in Multilingual Multicultural Studies
- LANED-GE 2099 - Culminating Seminar in Multilingual Multicultural Studies
- LANED-GE 2005 - Intercultural Perspectives in Multilingual Multicultural Studies
- Research Editor: Journal of Writing and Pedagogy. 2012-present, (Editorial Board 2009-2011). Member: Editorial Board. Bilingual Research Journal. 2007- present, Member: Editorial Board The International Journal of Foreign Language Teaching. 2006-present.