Harriet B. Klein
Professor Klein, received her doctorate in Speech Language Pathology from Columbia University in 1978. At New York University since 1979, she introduced a number of new courses in her areas of specialization: development and disorders of speech and language and treatment of language disorders. Her prior academic position was at Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, where she taught and did clinical supervision with graduate students. Questions arising from her years of clinical experience have motivated much of her research in the typical development of language and phonology. Her more recent research has centered on the identification of unusual approaches to learning phonology in typically developing children. She has also demonstrated the need for assessing between-word processes in continuous speech samples of children with disordered phonology. Klein continues to study aspects of sound production with special emphasis on one of the most challenging phonemes for the developing child, vocalic and consonantal 'r'. She has been a member of the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association since 1960 and holds Certification in Speech Pathology.
- Ph.D. Columbia University 1978, Speech Pathology
Grants and Awards
- 2012: Elected Fellow of the American Speech Language Hearing Association
- 2011: Teaching Excellence Award, Steinhart
- 2010: Steinhardt IDEA Grant: $4,857
- Awarded funding from the Bamford-Lahey Foundation for a study entitled, "How normally-developing children respond to contexts designed to elicit complex sentences". Sept. 2003 - Aug. 2004, $19,200.
- Distinguished achievement award from the New York State Speech-Language-Hearing Association , November, 1997
- Professional achievement award from the New York City Speech-Language Hearing Association for excellence in teaching, research, and clinical activity, April 1994.
- Phonological acquisition and disorders
- Language acquisition and disorders
- Production of vocalic and consonantal 'r'
- Perception of authentic and distorted 'r' production
- Klein, H.B; McAllister Byun, T; Davidson, L., Grigos, M.I. (2013). A multidimensional investigation of children’s /r/ productions: Perceptual, ultrasound and acoustic measures. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 22, 540-553.
- Klein, H.K., Grigos, M.I; McAllister Byun, T; Davidson, L. (2012). The relationship between inexperienced listeners’ perceptions and acoustic correlates of children’s /r/ productions. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics. Vol. 26, No. 7: 628–645.
- Klein, H.B. Moses, N. & Jean Baptiste (2010). Influence of context on the production of complex sentences by typically developing children. Language, Speech and Hearing Services in Schools. 41, 289-302.
- Klein, H.B. & Liu-Shea, M. (i2009). Between-word simplification patterns in continuous speech of children with speech sound disorders. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools. 40,17-30
- Klein, H. B. (2008). A progressive consonant-substitution pattern in a typcially developing child. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 10 (6), 1-10.
- Klein, H. B. (2005). Reduplication revisited: Functions, constraint, repairs, and clinical applications. American Journal of Speech Language Pathology, 13, 71-83..
- Klein, H.B. & Altman, E. K . (2002). The acquisition of medial /t,d/ allophones in bisyllabic contexts. Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics, 16, 215-232.
- Klein, H., & Moses, N. (1999). Intervention Planning for Adults with Communication Problems. Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Klein, H., & Moses, N. (1999). Intervention planning for children with communication disorders: A guide to the clinical practicum and professional practice.(2nd Ed.). Boston, MA.: Allyn & Bacon.
- Klein, H, (1998). Book Review on Handbook of phonological disorders from the perspective of constraint-based nonlinear phonology by B.Bernhardt and J. Stemberger. ASHA Leader, December 8, 23-24.
- Klein, H., Tate, J., & Altman, E. (1998). The relationship between acoustic and perceptual judgements of the flap in children's productions. Contemporary Issues in Communication Science and Disorders. 25, 25-31.
- Klein,H and Moses, N. (poster presentation entitled “Applying Evidence-Based Practice in Planning Intervention Goals and Procedures. American Speech Language Hearing Association. Atlanta, GA. November 15, 2012.
- Klein, H.B. Grigos, M.I., McAllister-Byun, T. Acoustic Properties of Children’s /r/ Productions:Impact on Listeners’ Perceptions. American Speech Language Association Annual Convention, San Diego, CA., 2011
- Klein, H.B., Grigos, M. Prepracticum students’ perception of gradations in accuracy of ‘r’ productions. International Association of Logopedics and Phoniatrics. Athens, Greece, August 22, 2010
- Klein, H.B., Davidson, L., Grigos, M., Relationship between perception and ultra sound measurement of developing /r/. Annual convention of the American Speech Language Hearing Association, New Orleans, Lousiana, November 18, 2009
- Klein, H.B., Davidson, L., Grigos, M. Poster presentation, Relationship Between Perceptual and Ultrasound Measurements of /r/ Development in Children with Phonological Delay. Child Phonology Conference, Austin Texas, June 8-9, 2009
- Targeting between-word processes in clinical contexts. Seminar: with May liu. . Annual Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Boston, MA.: November 17, 2007
- Perceptual, kinematic, and ultrasound measurement of 'r' development in children with phonological delayPaper presentation: with Lisa Davidson and Maria Grigos. Ultrafest conference. New York University. September 28, 2007
- Putting it together: Targeting between-word processes in clinical. Seminar: with May Liu. Annual Convention of New York Speech Language Hearing Association, Buffalo, NY. April 14, 2007.
- Complex sentence production of preschool children. Mini seminar: with Nelson Moses and Rachel Jean Baptise. Annual Convention of New York Speech Language Hearing Association. Saratoga, NY, April 28, 2006.
- Eliciting complex sentences from typically developing children in various contexts. Paper presentation: with Nelson Moses and Rachel Jean Baptiste. Annual Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, San Diego, November 18, 2005
- Phonological management of word combinations by children with phonological disorders. Paper presentation: The 2004 Word Congress of the International Association of Logopedics and Phoniatrics, Brisbane, Australia. August 31, 2004.
- Making non-linear phonology user friendly. Invited presentation with May Liu: New York State Speech Language and Hearing Association, Albany, N.Y. April, 16, 2004.
- Learning how to pronounce monosyllabic words: Overcoming two interacting constraints. Poster presentation at the 2003 Child Phonology Conference. Van Couver, BC, Canada. July 2, 2003.
- CSCD-UE 1101 - Articulation Disorders in children
- CSCD-UE 1601 - Language acquisition in the preschool years
- CSCD-GE 2075 - Principles of intervention in speech language pathology
- CSCD-GE 2039 - Language Disorders in children
- CSCD-GE 2112 - Diagnostic methods in speech-language pathology
- CSCD-GE 2108 - Phonological Disorders II
- CSCD-GE 3400 - Doctoral seminar