In this master of arts program – which offers an option to focus on bilingual student populations – you’ll get the education and clinical training to become a professional pre-K-12 school counselor, working in schools, colleges, and community agencies. Graduates are eligible for certification as guidance counselors.
- Earn this master's degree as a full-time or part-time student. Full-time students can complete the 48-credit program in four semesters.
- Complete coursework and participate in counseling labs at NYU's campus in the heart of New York City
- Apply hands-on learning through a clinical practicum and a yearlong internship at a New York City public school, under the supervision of a certified school counselor
- Join NYU Steinhardt's warm and supportive community of scholars, studying with graduate students in other departments
Learn more about the on-campus degree option.
- Complete the same 48-credit curriculum as the on-campus program from anywhere in the US – you'll only have to come to campus for an intensive, 3-credit course in group counseling
- Study with faculty and fellow graduate students in live online classes and office hours
- Access high-quality, faculty-designed coursework at any time, including self-paced lectures, interactive case studies, and collaborative activities
- Put theory into practice through a clinical practicum and a supervised internship in a public school near you, making a difference in the lives of students within your own community
Learn more about the online degree option.