Applications are reviewed for Fall entrance only. The deadline for applications is February 1.
This is a full-time master's program with a strict course sequencing and research requirement that is best completed on a full-time basis. We will consider part-time matriculation only on an exceptional, case-by-case basis. See a sample schedule.
In addition to the NYU Steinhardt Graduate Admissions application, please submit the following:
- Personal statement
- Current resume/CV
- Two or three letters of recommendation
- Academic writing sample
- The GRE (Graduate Record Exam) is optional. The HDSI Admissions Committee acknowledges there are several ways to demonstrate graduate school readiness. This may include, but is not limited to, professional or academic experience or by submitting the test results from the GRE. Therefore, submitting the GRE results is optional for HDSI applicants.
Applicants must complete pre-requisite courses before matriculation. As this program is an advanced degree in psychology, a basic understanding of psychology will aid the student in his/her coursework. The pre-requisites ensure that students will be competent in the field. Additionally, the curriculum's emphasis on research requires a working and recent knowledge of statistics.
Students must have completed a basic statistics course (with content similar to RESCH-GE 2085 Basic Statistics) within three years of applying, as well as five courses in psychology or psychology-related fields.
- introduction to psychology or introduction to sociology
- basic statistics
- Plus any four additional courses in psychology, such as:
- social psychology
- theories of personality or abnormal psychology
- developmental psychology
- community psychology
- health psychology
- cognitive psychology
- neuropsychology or the biological bases of behavior courses in related fields including anthropology will be considered
Students will not be able to take the pre-requisite coursework as a part of their program except in extraordinary circumstances. Students admitted without all the pre-requisite coursework should plan on completing the remaining prerequisite courses during the summer before matriculation. Students applying before the completion of their undergraduate program should try to send transcripts indicating the courses they will take in their last semester.
The Steinhardt School requires international applicants to have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree to be considered for admission.
Applicants whose first language is not English are required to take one of the following English proficiency exams and submit the score: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic. See more information on English proficiency testing.
Information on scholarships is available on the NYU Steinhardt Graduate Admissions website under financial aid.
All applicants who are interested in being considered for school-based scholarships must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by going to the FAFSA website and submitting it electronically to NYU. Check the Graduate Admissions web pages for detailed instructions.
The deadline for submitting the FAFSA form to NYU is February 1 for the fall term. Please note that the earliest time you can access the form is January 1.
- For more details about the application and admissions process, please see the Graduate Admissions website and the application guide page for this program.
- For more details related to the HDSI academic program, please email Erika Jackson, the Graduate Student Adviser