About the Programs
NYU Steinhardt's graduate programs in Educational Leadership prepare you for leadership positions in education and policy at the community, school, district, state, and national levels. We offer master's programs in Educational Leadership, Politics, and Advocacy and Educational Leadership: School Building Leader; a post-master's advanced certificate in School District Leader; and PhD and EdD programs in Educational Leadership.
The demands of effective and responsive professional practice in education are increasingly complex. Our programs address those complexities by providing a solid grounding in understanding social justice, multiple perspectives, and cross-sector leadership strategies.
Our programs feature
- A focus on urban education and a concern for social justice and equity
- Coursework and applied learning that connect theory and practice
- A strong community of faculty and students
- Links to community and research organizations that support schools
- Opportunities to engage with faculty and researchers through Steinhardt's numerous centers and institutes
- New York City as an important laboratory in which to learn and practice education leadership and policy
As a student in one of our programs, you will
- Critically examine the conceptual, organizational, political, social, managerial, and technical dimensions of leading schools and educational organizations and the communities they serve
- Strengthen leadership compentencies to work cross-sector with government and private and non-profit organizations to achieve greater equity and social justice in schools and communities
- Work closely with faculty who are actively engaged in research on issues facing today's educational leaders and policymakers
- Have the unique opportunity to study education abroad in our summer global courses